N+1 Tiddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I expect I'll end up there at some point. Ikea is like vacuuming behind the bookcases - you have to do it sometime, but it's worth avoiding for as long as possible....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We discovered worm holes in Ikea where you can pass through doors into the next section without doing the long walk... sometimes we even walk the 'wrong way' from the till end!!
ohmy.gif

The Dimpa bag folds/rolls up to perhaps 25cm long by 10?cm diameter; I don't have mine with me so those are 'guesstimates'. Of course it's still squishy at that point and you could easily stuff it somewhere if you were touring.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I seem to remember it was an Israeli gun.

You're probably right, my memory is hazy.... :unsure:

I actually like Ikea, but ideally a trip will involve meatballs at some point. And lingonberry jam and gravy, of course. :hungry:

It would be even better if one was allowed to ride a bike round.... :biggrin:

I once went with three friends, two of whom were setting up home (not together, two homes) and so needed a lot of bookcases and stuff. Fortunately, one friend had a horsebox, so we took that, and towed all the stuff home in it. That was the easiest loading job ever! Especially as we remembered to take the horse out before we went.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You're probably right, my memory is hazy.... :unsure:

The IMI Galil apparently. It has a bottle open built into the bipod (the two legs that fold down when you want to shoot while laying on your belly). It doesn't look like it's a very good bottle opener. I expect any NCO would go apoplectic if they saw anyone actually use it. You are part right though, because the IMI Galil is derived from the AK47. It also has a wire cutter built into the other bipod leg.

Perhaps Night Train should weld an AK47 to his brompton.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I despise the need to go to Ikea.

I had a friend who would phone me up offering me dinner. It was bring car and roof rack, head off to Ikea, shop for a load of stuff and then I got treated to meatballs on a BOGOF offer. All that favour and dinner wasn't even cooked or paid for.

I then had to furnish a show house, for a job I was in, and did so from Ikea. Three trolleys and £8000 of goods and furnishings and the checkout wouldn't accept the company credit card unless the CE was there to sign for it! So it all went on mine and then on an expenses claim.
I had a migraine part way round, a lot of the large items were from the bargain basement and the staff were obnoxious in their outright refusal to assist in anyway. They wouldn't even mind the trolleys while I loaded it to stop other shoppers pilfering stuff from them.

Anyway, enough of Ikea PLEASE.:surrender:

Tiddles' new tyres arrived today and I went off to get a new inner tube.

LBS was closed, market stall didn't have anything smaller then 16x2.5, ditto Halfords.
In the end I went to Harry Hall's in Manchester and managed to park outside and get served on the door step watching out for traffic wardens.
£4.99 and I had a tube.

The tube is a physically different size to the front one.
DSC_0096.jpg

The front one is only 30mm wide where as the original rear one and the replacement is 40mm wide.
Does it matter? Is one of them wrong?
The front also has a fully threaded metal valve stem.

The front tyre went on fine by hand and didn't pose any difficulty at all. The rear one was a bit more stubbon and the larger tube didn't help. It seemed not to want to fit in the tyre and was pinching all over the place. With a bit of inflation, deflation, inflation, deflation, wiggle it about and repeat I eventually got it on by hand.

I had to make up a new bit of rim tape. The old one in the rear wheel was hard and crispy and was up on the bead seat instead of the well. I used the one from Granville's new rim, that was broken at the valve hole, and cut and glued it shorter. I cut a new hole in it and it was fine.

I have just done a 2 mile shake down ride before it got dark and, aside form a little squeek from somewhere and twitchier handling, it seems ok.
The gears are a little slow to change but that may be down to using general purpose grease inside and it being a bit more sticky then the proper stuff.

Not found what the squeek is though but there is a stiff link in the new chain that maks the tensioner bob about a bit. I will need to find it as it wasn't there when I checked it when it was first fitted.
The squeek sounds like brake block rub but doesn't seem to occur in time to the wheel revolution, more one squeek every three or four rotations of the crank. Could be the stiff link squeeking the tensioner.

I think the cheap Schwalber Marathons might be seconds. The printing on one is nicely placed with the size and pressure marks between the brand and model printing. The other has the model printing overlapping the size and pressure marks.

Time will tell if they were worth the cost saving. I will email the seller to ask if they are seconds.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That thicker tube looks like it's the ERTRO 305 x 40-ish size, not 349 x 37.
The problem is, there's a few different sizes of '16 inch' tyre out there.
My Daewoo not-even-a-BSO has the 305 size of 16 inch, the Brompton has the 349
I've had the wrong size tube on the back of my Brommie for over a hundred loaded miles now - it's fine.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
That thicker tube looks like it's the ERTRO 305 x 40-ish size, not 349 x 37.
Ahh, that makes sense.

I would have thought Harry Hall's would have provided a thinner tube then.
I actually gave them the front tube, the thinner one, and asked for one the same for my Brompton.

Oh well, I might go back sometime and get a thinner one as it will make life easier for refitting the tyre.

Ahh, that makes sense.

I would have thought Harry Hall's would have provided a thinner tube then.
I actually gave them the front tube, the thinner one, and asked for one the same for my Brompton.

Oh well, I might go back sometime and get a thinner one as it will make life easier for refitting the tyre.

I don't think much of Harry's for Brompton goodies anymore :sad: Mine was bought from there.

If you are able try another LBS; I personally would go for the Schwalbe inner tubes now. ISTR Bicycle Doctor (Rusholme) had them when they last fitted my Marathon +s.
Also the other Brompton shoppe I highly recommend (but it's a bit far) is in Oxford and ISTR they also do the Schwalbe tubes as matter of course.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have sorted out some luggage capacity for Tiddles.

Using the Oxford bag that was on the front of Granville I removed the steel hooks, wedge and peg system and made a wooden socket for the Brompton block.
It will mean that I can add a Brompton block to Granville and have mix and match luggage sets.
DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

I have a second block on its way for Granville and I am making a removable block mount for him..

Top Bottom