N+1 Tiddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Tiddles now has twist shift grips just like Granville.
I fitted them yesterday and today I made them look more 'Bromptonesque'.

Right hand grip, the left one is the same but without the shifter.
DSC_0190.jpg

Added a patch of reflective tape to the end and then stretchd a bit of inner tube over it to cover the rough hard plastic.
DSC_0191.jpg

I cut a couple of bits of leather and hemmed the outer edge. Left and right are different sizes. ???
DSC_0192.jpg

I used the sewing maching to punch the rows of holes and then loosely sewed up the leather.
DSC_0193.jpg

The leather was slipped over the grip.
DSC_0194.jpg

I slowley stretched the leather to close the gap and pulled the threads tight. It took about 3 goes to fully tighten the threads.
DSC_0195.jpg

It ends up like this.
DSC_0197.jpg

Both sides done with the stitching underneath.
DSC_0198.jpg

Close up of the shifter.
DSC_0199.jpg

The cable routing using the tube from a V brake noodle. Also new flashy front light.
DSC_0200.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow.

I mean, like, wow.

That is very neat! :highfive:

The only thing you need is some marker on the twist side leather, so you can see what gear you're in.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Wow.

I mean, like, wow.

That is very neat! :highfive:

The only thing you need is some marker on the twist side leather, so you can see what gear you're in.
Thank you.

There's only three gears to choose from so I'm not going to worry about it. I think it looks nice without a pointer.
However, if I find it is a problem I will sew in a tiny red pointer to match the one on the mechanism.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We are not worthy!
I agree, you don't really need the gear marker with only three to choose from. Plus, it makes a different sound in the different gears anyway (or at least my one does) so you can tell what gear you're in by ear.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I need to figure out how best to do a six speed conversion and still not have a chunky shifter on the bars.
Maybe I should get another twist shifter for the left and just redrill the detent for high/low.:smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
:thanks:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Cheers Doc. I am going to think about this set up for a bit.

One of the things that occured to me is that I was gogint o get another of the 70's style shifters and and fit it to the left hand side. That way both sides are nearly symetrical. However it does also mean that the full width of both grips move. That may not be such a good idea.

The friction thumb shifter might be a good idea, I have one of those on my Ratrike for the front mech. I will see if I have another first and then maybe get back to you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
This is also posted in Tea? but may be more of interest here.

I had a look around for some light weight stuff to build a light weight trailer to go with Tiddles.

I started with an old aluminium rucksack frame. The 'shelf' bit at the bottom was removed and put on the front side so that the concave surface becomes the trailer bed.
I then had a route around a load of old aluminium tent frames for some 'stuff'.
DSC_0391.jpg

I cut the bent bits to make them shorter at the short end and so that they would interlock with a sleeve. One of the bent bits was flattened at the long end for later. The two long straight tubes are the axle tubes, one to fit inside the other. The smaller one was drilled to take the locating balls from the quick release spindles from the wheel chair wheels.
DSC_0392.jpg

The flattened piece was then wrapped around one of the cross members of the rucksack frame and riveted in place to form one half of the central draw bar.
DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

The other bent piece was then riveted into the short tube and holes drilled to take the turn screw and the snap release button.
DSC_0395.jpg

This is the axle with the holes drilled. The smaller one was jammed into the larger one and a rivet fitted in the centre to locate it.
DSC_0396.jpg

The front of the draw bar and the ends of the axle were then secured to the frame with stainless steel cable ties, pulled tight with the proper tool.
DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

A quick assemble to check it all looks ok.
DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

And dismantled.
DSC_0401.jpg

I am now gluing some oak together to make the coupling for the Brompton seat post. It will be a wooden version of the aluminum one I fettled for a friend's Brompton. If it doesn't work I will make a proper aluminium one with a quick release airline fitting.

Top Bottom