NC 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fred Simpson

I think this may be the best place to post this ...

My good friend is visiting in May and will be doing the NC500. Starting in Inverness and going clockwise.

He races back home in Colorado (road and mtb), but assures me he wants a relaxed few days. He hasn't decided how many days he will allocate as yet.

Do any of you experienced and organised chaps happen to have a handy spreadsheet detailing shop / garage / sleep options en-route that you would be willing to share.

Many thanks and ride safe all.

Cheers

Fred

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not a direct answer but here's a bread crumb trail, or five:

I would rather stick red hot needles in my eyes than cycle the NC 500, seriously. Five years ago, maybe yes. But now all we hear is stories of the single track sections being blocked by numpties in motorhomes trying to pass each other in opposite directions; people using the passing places as parking spaces, sports car types trying to do it in a day, as well as your normal traffic, motorbikes, tractors, buses, lorries, etc..
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-the-nc-500.280041/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
sounds like there are plenty of abandoned camper vans to kip the nights in.....

With a bit of planning and imagination there are a multitude of quieter more scenic virtually traffic free roads the OP's mate could take that would make for a mor pleasant break.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I did it a few years ago, 5 days start Inverness clockwise
first stop shieldag b&b nothing special ,pub in village sold food and a few stops thru the day
second stop Altnacealgach at a kind of motel place , run down a bit from first time I did it , its a pub with lodgings out buildings served food - nothing else there at all - can't remember passing a shop !
third stop tongue - the bothy - fantastic place - had a much needed sauna in the room ,shops in village and pass a couple thru the day
forth day latherton Forse of nature - big b&b place just opened , run by kids and hope they are still doing it - very good , drying rooms , food no shops but pass a few thru the day
fifth day back to Inverness - plenty of places there to eat and quite a few thru the day
I sent parcels to myself to each place - just things I thought I might need
I booked places well in advance , maybe some would frown on this as it means you have to get to your destination each day - that suits me
the weather turned on me on day 2 for 2 1/2 days of high head winds and rain that certainly pushed me to my limit
in comparison I did leg in 9 days and thought it easier than nc500 , but could have been the weather ,
word of warning , its a relatively easy start for 70 miles , then all hell breaks loose on the hill front ! its up and down for remainder of the west coast then a lot of the top , then it eases again and last day just 2 hills but if you aint used to them by then you never will be . I guess there are a few deviations but there's not a lot of roads up there
would I do it again - definitely , but maybe with back up or even a back up plan ! cos when its bleak up there , its proper bleak . when its nice I don't think there is a better place in the uk

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to know the area well as my grandparents had a croft up there and I spent the whole school holidays there. My last visit was not long after the “ discovery” of NC500 and I will never go back.
Like many areas I know well it has been swamped by mass tourism and the place has been totally changed and ruined for ordinary punters like myself.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Take plenty of money with you!
£25 for fish and chips at the Kylesku Hotel, apparently.
Accommodation, if you can find any, is also extortionate.
So glad I did this route back in the 90's when it was just a wee forgotten corner of Scotland, and didn't have a trendy name. I was easily able to find reasonably priced accommodation as I went. I was on a motorbike so it only took about 3 leisurely days IIRC.. What I do remember was the price of petrol, even back then. It was about 50% more than the price in central Scotland, and filling stations were rare.
Boycott the area and starve the greedy of their income! Then watch the prices drop back to what they should be; sharpish.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A motorcycling acquaintance has done it twice.

First time (years ago) he loved it, came back full of tales about empty roads and magnificent scenery.

He did it again last year and has sworn he'd never go back. Constant traffic for much of it, hired campervans being driven by people who had no experience of a vehicle that size (on often single track roads) and all the lodgings filled to bursting point. He reckons that the magic has gone, but you might find it different.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do any of you experienced and organised chaps happen to have a handy spreadsheet detailing shop / garage / sleep options en-route that you would be willing to share.

If you haven't already been put off this ride by previous posts ;) then here is some serious advice re your points. Sorry, no spread sheets available!

Shops.... Don't expect any supermarkets other than at Inverness, and maybe small versions at Ullapool, Wick, or Thurso. Otherwise it's the good old corner shops doubling as post office type places, and opening hours may not be what you would normally expect. Unless that has changed of course, to deal with the influx of people and the chance to earn some more cash. Prices will be inflated to suit the location.

Garages.... Are you not cycling? But anyway, on my last visit they were few and far between, petrol was extortionate, and again opening hours were to suit the owner. Lunchtime closing of shops and services is still a thing in the north.

Sleep..... This is where you need to seriously plan your visit, and do it well in advance. If you are looking for hotels or B&B type accommodation, it is in high demand and under supplied. Hence the cost being silly money. And don't expect The Ritz for the price either. Try looking up a few on booking dot com or similar, if you haven't already done so. Camp sites are an option but you would need to get googling for that, I don't do camping in NW Scotland due to the prevalent weather and also MIDGES! Wild camping? Up to you; it's not illegal in Scotland apart from a few areas around Loch Lomond.

So, basically ....... good luck! :smile:

Slick

Guru
I've done it, but not on a bike. Probably the toughest ride you could do in Scotland, although that is up for debate. The 2 tough climbs that stuck in my mind were Applecross, although the hotel was first class, and coming out of Kishorn. Ooft :eek:

Sallar55

Veteran
If its still on peoples bucket list make sure you book accommodation well in advance. Some have had to book 6 months ahead.

Top Bottom