Nearly taken out by Sportive nutcases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, you are being a complete moron if the road's not wide enough to overtake without changing lanes, aren't you? If they ride single file, it just doubles (or worse) the length you've got to overtake when the oncoming lane is clear.

Worse, some drivers take it as a signal to try to overtake without changing lane and anything oncoming usually results in a cyclist in the verge, at best. I've seen it happen. Unless it's clear or a wide road, it's better to stay in a car-like shape, like cars do.

If you're trying to tell cyclists to put themselves in danger, then well done, yet another cycling group who might now be pi**ed off at motorists. Well done!
& @Dogtrousers

You are making a lot of assumptions here.
I've seen a few a few involving people riding a few abreast, and yeah, you will be right if the road isn't wide enough, but one particular incident which was more than that, and that sticks in the mind was on a country road wide enough for a vehicle to pass (and others safely had already), but there was one guy who decided to deliberately block the path when a car appeared for no good reason whilst casually chatting to his friend. It wasn't as if he was protecting those in front of him, they weren't in the way, it was just him (I was behind so saw what happened, and I had the car beside me at a safe distance, and I could see the driver too). Not great. The car did eventually get past, but how nothing happened, I don't know!

It kind of coloured things for me and I now don't even like riding two abreast on a road these days if there is traffic behind (within reason, of course). Daft maybe, but I just don't like to pi*s off drivers as we have all seen the consequences, and besides, it can limit my own ability for movement should something happen requiring sudden action.

And no, I wouldn't dream of putting anyone in danger, only a complete moron would, or even suggest it! :rolleyes:

I don't do many group rides (mainly for the reasons already mentioned in this thread), but one does see this sort of thing happen every so often. Maybe I have just seen some bad examples of things though

Last edited:
The car did eventually get past, but how nothing happened, I don't know!
Maybe it's my reading comprehension skills, but I don't get what could happen. A car wanted to pass another vehicle, they waited until it was safe, then they passed. What did you expect to happen that didn't?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Maybe it's my reading comprehension skills, but I don't get what could happen. A car wanted to pass another vehicle, they waited until it was safe, then they passed. What did you expect to happen that didn't?

The guy was deliberately blocking the road for no reason other than to idly chat with his mate. The car could have passed easily, but the cyclist was being a twunt and wouldn't let it. Also it lasted a few minutes, not just a few seconds, so it most certainly wasn't accidental, and he just glared at me when I pointed out what he was doing.

As far as I'm concerned, just get out the way before you get an angry person in a 1or 2 tonne metal box (in this case a 4x4 in fact) have a go at you (although in this case it would have been delicious :whistle:) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
congratulations... you've completely missed the point.

I get what you are saying, you want control, etc etc, but I was just pointing out that not everyone else is a complete idiot either.

Of course, you need to trust people.
Also, you said that you can't understand drivers who ask a passenger to see what's coming. Maybe the person asked is a greater judge of when to pull out than the driver is, knowing the time delay in reaction, etc etc, therefore making the situation safer? :whistle: :giggle:

That is in a vehicle, so everyone has a vested interest to stay safe. Someone flashing you out or whtever can be very different however, I know.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You are making a lot of assumptions here.
You are leaving a lot of gaps here.

but one particular incident which was more than that, and that sticks in the mind was on a country road wide enough for a vehicle to pass (and others safely had already), but there was one guy who decided to deliberately block the path when a car appeared for no good reason whilst casually chatting to his friend.
How wide was the country road?

How do you know that his decision was to block the path whilst casually chatting, rather than having to move up to arrange something to do with the ride organisation - did you ask him or are you making a lot of assumptions too?

Is it fair if it's a motor vehicle ahead, but people cycling two abreast "block the path"?
It kind of coloured things for me and I now don't even like riding two abreast on a road these days if there is traffic behind (within reason, of course). Daft maybe, but I just don't like to pi*s off drivers as we have all seen the consequences, and besides, it can limit my own ability for movement should something happen requiring sudden action.
Drivers get peed off by all sorts of things, including other drivers, road layouts and so on. That's their blood pressure. If we're broadly following the highway code, it should be allowed, especially on country lanes - motorists who want to go fast should use major roads.
And no, I wouldn't dream of putting anyone in danger, only a complete moron would, or even suggest it! :rolleyes:
Sadly, there are a lot of what you'd call complete morons out there, then.

I don't do many group rides (mainly for the reasons already mentioned in this thread), but one does see this sort of thing happen every so often. Maybe I have just seen some bad examples of things though
Probably - for the most part, group rides are on routes that few motorists use. Around here, it's roads that motorists either aren't allowed to use, or that are smaller but more direct than the major ones. You probably don't even notice all the group rides which pass uneventfully.

Sadly, "this sort of thing" can happen quite easily to lone riders too, but I suspect it's less likely to be reported because there's often no witnesses and many cyclists blame themselves, especially if they're uncertain about the law, highway code or cyclecraft. I think it's less likely to happen to a group because motorists are more reluctant to take a chance with a group of a dozen or so - they're unlikely to incapacitate us all and that's a lot of witnesses to leave, some of whom have video cameras. The worst incidents I've known about have happened to lone riders, not groups. This is part of why I will ride roads in groups that I avoid alone.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
It's all to do with considerateness, innit? Most of the country lanes around here (that people in their right mind most enjoy riding on) are of the sort of width where two cars would each need to move to the verges and slow down considerably to pass, if approaching head-on. No white line - the kind of road where you can't overtake a car in a car. Now, I'm all for giving cyclists room when they pass (as much room as a car, when on a wide road), but if you're seriously suggesting that motorists should not pass cyclists on these narrow roads, you're just not thinking practically. Of course, the manoeuvre has to be done in an appropriate place and, with cooperation from the cyclist(s) (whether singling out, or moving left a little, or - heaven forfend! - waving them through), it's a lot smoother and less stressful. Hell, when I'm cycling I hate to be holding up traffic behind me. There's a time and a place for the primary position, and a time and a place to be a friendly, considerate roaduser.

Pope

Regular
It's all to do with considerateness, innit? Most of the country lanes around here (that people in their right mind most enjoy riding on) are of the sort of width where two cars would each need to move to the verges and slow down considerably to pass, if approaching head-on. No white line - the kind of road where you can't overtake a car in a car. Now, I'm all for giving cyclists room when they pass (as much room as a car, when on a wide road), but if you're seriously suggesting that motorists should not pass cyclists on these narrow roads, you're just not thinking practically. Of course, the manoeuvre has to be done in an appropriate place and, with cooperation from the cyclist(s) (whether singling out, or moving left a little, or - heaven forfend! - waving them through), it's a lot smoother and less stressful. Hell, when I'm cycling I hate to be holding up traffic behind me. There's a time and a place for the primary position, and a time and a place to be a friendly, considerate roaduser.

Precisely. When I'm cycling, I'm aware that I'm travelling much slower than motorists can. Therefore, I try my best to get out of their way so I'm not slowing them down.

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I'm cycling, I'm aware that I'm travelling much slower than motorists can.
I regularly zoom past motorists who are crawling along in traffic. They can go pretty slowly.

Top Bottom