Nearly wiped out a whole cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What a great thread to read on a wet, snowy and very cold day - I know this as I just read it on a wet, snowy and very cold day.

Terrific entertainment - ta very much. :laugh:

Difficult to say much about this incident without having seen it, but here goes anyway!

Now, assuming that everyone involved is a reasonable sentient human-being, which is, after all the necessity for our highly developed civilisation to function, I have a couple of speculations to offer.

Given the above, it is unlikely that a ride leader would willingly lead a group of cyclists into the path of a fast moving car on a roundabout. Possible explanation? maybe the way was clear for the leader but not clear by the time the rest of the group were on the roundabout. In that case, I would suggest that following riders should do their own observations and stop if necessary. Maybe the situation on the roundabout changed very quickly. Possible in the circumstances I outline below.

Now, I have noticed an increasing tendency (and I have done this myself), particularly when a major road intersects a lesser one at the roundabout, for drivers to approach the roundabout with the speed they have carried from the main road. They (I) expect to gain instant priority on the roundabout as nothing much joins from the driver's right and they rarely need to stop. Maybe, since cyclists tend to prefer minor roads, this explains the event here. Never experienced it on a bike, but certainly in a car, I have been hooted at and flashed by a car which wasn't even on the roundabout when I pulled out on to it. My feelings tend to be, if you can hoot and flash then you can brake.

Maybe that is the key to the whole thing. Should vehicles be negotiating roundabouts at such a speed that unexpected events can only be dealt with by emergency stops? Possibly not.

So, recommendations.
Cyclists, look for yourself, don't blindly follow a leader.
Drivers, expect to brake if a vulnerable road user appears on a roundabout. In varying circumstances this could be cyclists, pram-pushers, pedestrians, dog-walkers. Remember who is operating the deadly machine, and is responsible for it. There is no such thing as right of way.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thinking about this and my commute, my personal bugbear around roundabouts is that everyone stops now. So driver approaching roundabout from my left sees me 10 yards away and stops. Driver coming towards me stops because he doesn't know what driver 1 is doing next. I stop cos driver 2 is indicating to turn right across me. If only driver 1 would recognise he has priority because he is at the roundabout, I'm not. He doesn't have to cede to me even though I'm on his right.

You know, today I cycled 100km along Tallin to Riga main road, full of articulated trucks and oil tanks driving at high speed. There was no specific cycle lane. Many road cyclists went past me and I was not alone.
It was so good to see how they share the road.
When will we ever learn to use the road in harmony...

simongt

Guru
I find it difficult to believe that any driver on a roundabout (unless it was a very big roundabout) was going at such a speed that an emergency stop was necessary - that just smacks of a lack of observation and anticipation.
An issue here is that most folk in the driver's position will be thinking / assuming that as he has the legal right of way that anyone approaching the roundabout from the driver's left will do the sensible and legal thing and GIVE WAY TO TRAFFIC ON THE RIGHT. :stop: This causes hesitation / doubt in the driver's mind for a second or so until it's 'kin obvious that said approaching traffic has no intention of giving way to the right, by which time the driver has negotiated several metres of the roundabout and may have to take evasive action to allow for the behavior of said idiots. Let's face it, ALL of us have been in that type of situation occasionally.

the legal right of way

What is this? I can find no mention of it in the Highway Code.

simongt

Guru
Okay, it may not be a 'legal requirement', but next time you come to a roundabout, just carry on and see what the tall men with shiny buttons have to say when you're broadsided by someone who's already on the roundabout approaching from your right - !

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I am going to start sending emails every time a road user makes me use my brakes. The nerve. May even put it on Twitter. Cant get away with this.
Hilarious. I can just see you taking exactly the same attitude when somebody opens a car door in front of you forcing you to make an emergency stop (or not). Or a car pulling out in front of you on a roundabout forcing you to come to a sudden stop. Or a pedestrian for that matter.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Apart from the pollution spewed out by his penguin-killing death machine.
Feathers McGraw from Wallace & Gromit, The Penguin gang in Madagascar films, The Penguin in Batman, Pingu is a bit of a git, that penguin in the British Gas adverts breaking into peoples houses vandalising their boilers and trying to sneak out disguised as cleaning utensils. They're evil creatures, anything that keeps their numbers down...

In fact I'm off to gratuitously boil the kettle and order some stuff that needs to be shipped from China

;)

If you're going to cycle like an idiot - at least please don't do it whilst you're leading a group ride - it won't be just you that gets killed.

This is to the dozen club idiots who pulled straight out onto a roundabout near Woodside yesterday morning, two and three abreast, without slowing down. You caused me and the car behind to perform emergency stops. Good job we were awake.

/rantover

Yes.

I was taken by surprise because they came down the inside of a queue of traffic that was stopped waiting to enter the roundabout. Hence, I didn't see them until the last second.

Two or three abreast down the inside of a queue of traffic? Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hilarious. I can just see you taking exactly the same attitude when somebody opens a car door in front of you forcing you to make an emergency stop (or not). Or a car pulling out in front of you on a roundabout forcing you to come to a sudden stop. Or a pedestrian for that matter.
I don't know whether @glenn forger does or not, but I avoid riding close enough to car doors for them to be "forcing" me to stop because that's a very bad road position to be in. Similarly, don't go too close to the outside of roundabouts (despite what the highway code says) or pedestrians who may step out (which the highway code gets correct).

Top Bottom