Need a MTB tyre 26x2.125...do they still make them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi ,I need a new back tyre for my Raleigh Mustang which should be a 26x2.125 but I can't find one for sale. Do they still sell them in this size? If not, Can I fit a wider tyre on the rim?
Thanks
20180816_215052.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The 26 is the crucial bit, the width isn’t that important, 2.1, 2.3 1.75. 2.0 etc all fine to fit

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Think about what you use the bike for though, before choosing tyres. If your usage doesn't require tyres with a knobbly tread pattern, then fit something a bit slicker that rolls easier. If you're talking about a Mustang ATB from the late 80's with Raleigh's own in-house steel rims, they are a heavy bike (although strangely rather good fun to ride!) and you will appreciate any reduction in tyre drag. Definitely go for 26" x 2" or narrower, as the tyres will weigh less than wider sections.

Reactions: Maz

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My preferred road-use MTB tyre is Schwalbe Delta Cruiser+ in 26" x 1.75" size as it provides a good compromise between less weight/drag than a wide knobbly and the superior comfort you get from wider MTB tyres with a high air volume.
I can't comment on the comfort of the City Jets, but I would be wary of using them on very poor potholed tarmac surfaces, as they don't look much wider than my hybrid tyres, which can feel rather harsh on really bad roads. They also look a bit too "roadie" to fit to an MTB in my eyes.

D

Deleted member 23692

Schwalbe Big Apples are still available in 2.125". Cracking tyres... long lasting and bombproof.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-big-apple-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod96410

I loved mine so much I now use the fatter version (Super Moto) in 2.35"

Ajax Bay

Guru
I need a new back tyre for my Raleigh Mustang which should be a 26x2.125 but I can't find one for sale.
The marking on the rim refers to the rim size (2.125 is the outside rim distance), not the tyre. That helps explain why you are having trouble finding 2.125 tyres: it's not a 'normal' size/width.
The tyre in the image looks to be about 26x2.5. Those rims are wide (wider than 'normal' MTB/26" rims) - I wouldn't mount anything less than 1.9 on it. 26x 1.9 up to what your frame will allow would be my suggestion, and choice of width and tread depends on its intended use (as articulated above).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The tyre in the image looks to be about 26x2.5. Those rims are wide (wider than 'normal' MTB/26" rims) - I wouldn't mount anything less than 1.9 on it. 26x 1.9 up to what your frame will allow would be my suggestion, and choice of width and tread depends on its intended use (as articulated above).

Those rims look to be the original steel ones fitted to those bikes. They are rather (well very) heavy but are normal section MTB wheels, and AFAIK the original tyres would have been about 1.95" or 2" wide. 1.75" tyres will mount on those rims; I've removed an old set of them from a pair of those steel wheels.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Quoting Sheldon:
"A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width.
"If your tire is too narrow for the rim, there's an increased risk of tire/rim damage from road hazards."
With a 2.125" outer rim width, I'd expect the inner rim to be about 1.875" max. You can mount narrower tyres on those rims, but it's not good practice and there's no good reason.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's no way those Raleigh steel rims are over two inches wide. The marking probably relates to the widest recommended tyre fitment.

Top Bottom