Need a replacement disc brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The Magura Louise 2000/2001 on my recumbent has failed, and I need a new brake setup. Any recommendations?

The caliper is mounted on the left fork, behind the fork. The disc is 160mm, and the two mounting bolts for the caliper seem to be spaced 50mm apart. The wheel is a 406 (20") and has what seems to be the standard 6-hole mounting pattern.

NickM

Veteran
I don't have any specific recommendations, BM, but I'm surprised to hear that a hydraulic disc just "failed" - I know that you look after your bike, and I thought these things were supposed to be pretty well bombproof. How did it fail? was there any warning, or did it fail in such a way as to cause a brown shorts moment??

Actually, come to think of it I like cable discs precisely because if they need any maintenance it becomes apparent in a generally benevolent way. Inspecting/renewing cables once in a while keeps them pretty safe, I reckon. The technology in them seems somehow more appropriate to bicycles than that in hydraulic discs, to me anyway.

mordecai84

In my experience, you can go wrong with Shimano Hydraulics - easy to service, plenty of parts available and relatively cheap. The XT hydraulics are what I run and I love 'em.

NickM

Veteran
If your faith in hydraulics isn't shaken (and you can afford the entry fee!), people in the BHPC seem to rate Hope hydraulics highest. Me, I'd be perfectly happy with Avid BB7s*. And I'd still have some money for food and shelter :biggrin:

*as long as I got some EBC Green pads to replace the stock ones

betty swollocks

large member
Hi Mikey. I hated the Louises on my Hurricane. I've just replaced them with Hope Minis, which I'm very pleased with........so far. Much more modulation and much quieter.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Now lets just hope that my fork mounts are the same as yours, LOL! My deckchair is probably quite a bit older than yours.

betty swollocks

large member
For your viewing pleasure:-

30icr4n.jpg

Hope disks rule the roost - no other disk comes close. My mtb is equipt with Hope Mono 6ti, and from what I have heard the Mono Mini is excellent too.

After the crappieness of Shimano XT disks, I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole.

Get some sinteded EBC pads in there and you will be laughing mate.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mr. Larrington's recommendations are the dog's particulars - it's due to him I ordered the mono mini. Fitted yesterday, just had two great test rides, one with miniMikey on his KMX.

bonj2

Was going to recommend formul oro k18s as I've got on my MTB, replaced my avids with them a bit ago and havent' had any problems whatsoever with them, they work well and look nice.
Looks like you've already gone for hope ones, they are good, and hope's customer service is apparently second to none according to a mate of mine, and you do get the satisfaction of that now rare 'made in UK' label on it...:smile:

Top Bottom