Need advice on replacement gearing for a single chainring 9 speed hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I don't know your bike or rear mech, but I think you are referring to the gear hanger, which is attached to the frame and the Rd is attached to the hanger.
If you buy a new Rd, I don't think it will come with a new gear hanger, so you will still have the same problem.

Others might be able to add more info.
On a learning curve here Sharky, so please bear with me but you are correct.
As this is a Micro Shift 'Advent' rear mech, is there an off the shelf hanger replacement I can purchase that you know of?

Sharky

Guru
Which way are you presenting the little bolts?
They probably go thru the hanger first, then into the frame.

If it is faulty, then all you need to buy is the hanger, such as this
https://www.cannondalespares.com/Ca...railleur-Hanger--KP284/product_detail/3-39858

**** need to check the exact model you need for your bike.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Which way are you presenting the little bolts?
They probably go thru the hanger first, then into the frame.

If it is faulty, then all you need to buy is the hanger, such as this
https://www.cannondalespares.com/Ca...railleur-Hanger--KP284/product_detail/3-39858
They come from the frame side but that is correct as there is a small countersunk recess the bolts fit into. They simply do not connect going hanger side 1st. I think I need a new hanger as the bolts are just not 'biting' onto the threads.
Many thanks for the learning and link to the one I need. It is correct as I have a Cannondale Treadwell and it is identical, many thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_204756.jpg
    IMG_20201109_204756.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8

Sharky

Guru
It could be that the nuts you had before the qr was holding it tight. Try presenting the little screws from the outside and see if they will bite into the frame.

You could also try a couple of longer bolts with nuts you can get from b&q etc. As long as you have clearance on the cassette side.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

It could be that the nuts you had before the qr was holding it tight. Try presenting the little screws from the outside and see if they will bite into the frame.

You could also try a couple of longer bolts with nuts you can get from b&q etc. As long as you have clearance on the cassette side.
The little screws just go loosely into the countersunk holes and I believe are then meant to screw into the hanger on the other side.
That is the part that is not happening as the screws are just not biting onto the hanger.
Off the bike, they screw in ok but they go 'in a bit' before biting, which I think is the problem.

Sharky

Guru
The little screws just go loosely into the countersunk holes and I believe are then meant to screw into the hanger on the other side.
That is the part that is not happening as the screws are just not biting onto the hanger.
Off the bike, they screw in ok but they go 'in a bit' before biting, which I think is the problem.
Well I'm glad you've got to the root of the problem and a new gear hanger should be the solution.

Gear hangers are designed to fail before the frame does as a replacement hanger is much cheaper than a new frame!

Cheers

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Well I'm glad you've got to the root of the problem and a new gear hanger should be the solution.

Gear hangers are designed to fail before the frame does as a replacement hanger is much cheaper than a new frame!

Cheers
Can I just say how much appreciate the words of experience and advice you've offered.

Top Bottom