Need help picking a new hard tail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
@Cubist you think those clutch mechs are worth a standard triple setup? I seem to get more slap on the Kinesis, possibly because the back end is pretty rigid. The Shimano mech has a switch though, which demands a conscious decision and I also read it stiffens the change a lot.
They aren't that expensive right now, and they may well calm the chain down. The switch means you can choose not to have it on at all if you don't want. Yes, it stiffens the change a bit, but not massively- but mine are on XT shifters which are positive/crisp to start with. Also, the clutch is adjustable by unscrewing the cover and adding or removing spring tension, so you can always tune it to how you want it.

OP
OP
R

razer17

I was very taken with the KTM 1964 when I saw it at the NEC last year. As pretty much a novice to dirt on a bicycle, I'd be interested where people felt it sat with the four mentioned here? Pretty but just that, or worthwhile contender?
From experience, those brakes aren't particularly good. The Reba forks on it are the same as the ones on the Canyon, but that bike's a hundred quid cheaper. Looks pretty sleek in the black with orange trim. I know someone on this forum bought this bike recently,so you could ask for his experience.

Edit- Quick search led me to this: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycle-to-work-scheme-mtb-for-1k.172685/post-3483465

Motozulu

Über Member
Another one for the Bird here - so much so I will be ordering one in April. I love the looks and personally I have chosen it over the Carbon evo 456 from On One. I like the fact it's niche and built by Brit trail riders and as I am going for the Zero.2 I can spec it with a 1x10 set up (which I have on the Chief) and Sweep 140mm forks. As this will predominantly be ridden at Cannock I'm happy enough with a 32t narrow/wide, 11-36 cassette and a Zee mech. Looking forward to trying X fusion too.

The Bird 2 is perfectly specced for me - and for £1,200 I'm chuffed. All I've got to do now is pick acid yellow or candy blue!!

OP
OP
R

razer17

Another one for the Bird here - so much so I will be ordering one in April. I love the looks and personally I have chosen it over the Carbon evo 456 from On One. I like the fact it's niche and built by Brit trail riders and as I am going for the Zero.2 I can spec it with a 1x10 set up (which I have on the Chief) and Sweep 140mm forks. As this will predominantly be ridden at Cannock I'm happy enough with a 32t narrow/wide, 11-36 cassette and a Zee mech. Looking forward to trying X fusion too.

The Bird 2 is perfectly specced for me - and for £1,200 I'm chuffed. All I've got to do now is pick acid yellow or candy blue!!
Definitely the acid yellow for me. The blue is nice, but the yellow looks fantastic. And I'm not a fan of pink, but it really sets off the yellow in this frame and looks great.

Also, that Sweep fork looks fantastic, and from the review I just read it's basically on par with the Pike, which is like double the price. Wonder if it's worth saving a little longer and getting the zero.2 instead of the 3. Wonder if I'd ever really get full use out of that fork.

Last edited:

Oldbloke

Guru
I was very taken with the KTM 1964 when I saw it at the NEC last year. As pretty much a novice to dirt on a bicycle, I'd be interested where people felt it sat with the four mentioned here? Pretty but just that, or worthwhile contender?

I bought one of these in December, brilliant bike as far as I'm concerned. I use it for forest trails and cross country, nothing too radical.

Can't tell you how it compares to the others mentioned as my shortlist only included the Trek Superfly and Wilier 401. Chose the KTM on price.

They aren't that expensive right now, and they may well calm the chain down. The switch means you can choose not to have it on at all if you don't want. Yes, it stiffens the change a bit, but not massively- but mine are on XT shifters which are positive/crisp to start with. Also, the clutch is adjustable by unscrewing the cover and adding or removing spring tension, so you can always tune it to how you want it.
Heh, I should've have listened when you tried to steer me to 10 speed during my build. Clutch mechs are 10 speed only, I'll continue to rattle then.

And my vote is the blue one :smile:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I bought one of these in December, brilliant bike as far as I'm concerned. I use it for forest trails and cross country, nothing too radical.

Can't tell you how it compares to the others mentioned as my shortlist only included the Trek Superfly and Wilier 401. Chose the KTM on price.
Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I'd be looking to do with it. I've got a very unsuitable Commencal El Camino at the moment, (it was cheap) and the theory is if I start giving it a bit more use then I'll reshuffle the 'stable' and replace it with a KTM.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I'd be looking to do with it. I've got a very unsuitable Commencal El Camino at the moment, (it was cheap) and the theory is if I start giving it a bit more use then I'll reshuffle the 'stable' and replace it with a KTM.

I had a brief go on a KTM 1964 and liked it a lot.

Just the job for 'nothing too radical' as @Oldbloke says.

I all but bought one, but when I went back the shop didn't have my size.

I believe this year's 1964s come in 29er and 650b, so make sure you get the one you want.

Motozulu

Über Member
Definitely the acid yellow for me. The blue is nice, but the yellow looks fantastic. And I'm not a fan of pink, but it really sets off the yellow in this frame and looks great.

Also, that Sweep fork looks fantastic, and from the review I just read it's basically on par with the Pike, which is like double the price. Wonder if it's worth saving a little longer and getting the zero.2 instead of the 3. Wonder if I'd ever really get full use out of that fork.
I would say do it - if not now then at some stage you may regret not going for the stiffer more capable sweeps. Reviews I've read say the Velvets are excellent XC forks but are a bit flexi on the bigger hits. Main reasons I think the 2 is such an excellent bike are the Sweeps and the 1x10 set up.

I really can't choose between the Blue or Yellow. Living in the Midlands it's just too far for a test ride and they have no demo days planned up here. The photo's suggest the yellow is a bit wishy washy but I know how different things look in the flesh...toughie...

OP
OP
R

razer17

I would say do it - if not now then at some stage you may regret not going for the stiffer more capable sweeps. Reviews I've read say the Velvets are excellent XC forks but are a bit flexi on the bigger hits. Main reasons I think the 2 is such an excellent bike are the Sweeps and the 1x10 set up.

I really can't choose between the Blue or Yellow. Living in the Midlands it's just too far for a test ride and they have no demo days planned up here. The photo's suggest the yellow is a bit wishy washy but I know how different things look in the flesh...toughie...
For the extra £200 I get better forks and stop/go gear. Better sell on value as well if I don't get on with it (hopefully that won't happen). Might be worth a bash, the sweep really is meant to be great. Not sure I'd go 1x10 though. Think a 2x10 is better for me.

OP
OP
R

razer17

I need to stop looking at bikes till I buy the Bird. I started looking for sub 1000 quid hard tails, thought I'd decided, and suddenly I find myself looking at Canyon full sussers for way above that.

I just wish I didn't need to wait another 3 weeks to order by Bird.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I was under the impression the riding that required a full suss was very different to that you'd be happy doing on a hardtail. Considering all the extra weight and moving parts to look after I think I'd have to be really sure I needed a full suss before going that way. Also, surely you take a tech hit going to full suss without adding an awful lot more money.

Motozulu

Über Member
For the extra £200 I get better forks and stop/go gear. Better sell on value as well if I don't get on with it (hopefully that won't happen). Might be worth a bash, the sweep really is meant to be great. Not sure I'd go 1x10 though. Think a 2x10 is better for me.

Yes, deffo worth the extra 200. Just as I was bored I had a go at speccing the Bird myself - I got to a grand without getting halfway down the list and that was still without the frame!!
1x10...2x10 is purely a personal thing, I love the simplicity of a 1x10 plus the fact it gets/keeps you fitter and just looks neater, cleaner bars, less clutter and easier to clean/maintain - beauty of the Zero 2 is it is a free choice between the two set ups.
I'm deffo going for the yellow btw, like you I have to wait 3 weeks and like you I was looking at a HT sub £1,000 but the Zero is just too good to turn down.....I can't wait....

OP
OP
R

razer17

Well, I'm finally going to pull the trigger. Did some overtime and I'm going to go with the Bird Zero 2, rather than the 3. Now I'm just speccing it up to see what I want. I'm think 750mm bars, Ardents front and back? Possibly 2.4 front, 2.2 back? Going with the 2x10 set up and tubeless tires. Since the rims are tubeless ready I'm hoping any tyre fixes will be relatively easy, compared to ghetto tubeless anyway.

Motozulu

Über Member
Good stuff - I'm going to the factory next Wednesday to test ride a large and medium, just to be sure. I've saved up enough to go for the Zero 1 too - really like the all turbine kit.....

Top Bottom