Need help picking a new hard tail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
Nice report mate - I can confirm everything you say after yesterday. As an aside we had 2 bikes - one with revelations and High roller/Ardent combo, the other with X fusion Sweeps and MinionDHF/Ardent combo. Both combos were absolutely rock solid and we were hitting corners and berms at real speed, never felt like washing out once on either. I'm going with the Minion though as it's 20g lighter than the High Roller :laugh:

Got to say, I've never ridden a bike that hugs berms and corners so well, must be a combo of bike geom, forks and tyres - blew us both away, also I was impressed at just how light the bike was! Swinley forest is also a great, fun, bermy blast. I came on to post a small report from yesterday's visit - see below.

PS - great avatar!

Last edited:

Motozulu

Über Member
"Well we went today - bit of an epic drive in the old jalopy - it got us there and back and Bird's current base is well hidden in deepest darkest Hampshire!

Me and Jay were joking on the way that it would be one old chap in a brown coat working out of his garden shed and we were almost on the money! They are upgrading the main factory/warehouse atm so are having to build bikes in the office!

Anyway - took a L and an M off to Swinley and set off on a brilliant warm sunny day.

Swinley is great IMO, fast, jumpy, swoopy and bermy and even has some real quality single track through very tight trees on the red - bloody loved it.

The bikes? an absolute no brainer. I personally haven't rode a HT that sticks that well to the corners and berms - fecking superb and was very impressed with the Sweeps, which IMO, out performed the Revelations on the AM spec Zero we had.

In short, I'm totally sold and know I've made the right choice. Can't wait to get it ordered!

Would I go to Swinley again despite the 280 mile round trip?

Absomotherfeckinlutely. "

2vrslr7.jpg

25issc2.jpg

Last edited:

Motozulu

Über Member
Also - quick question Razer...both test bikes yesterday had creaks which we couldn't pin down as to where they were coming from - bit strange both bikes having the same creak? I put it down to the fact both these bikes look like they have been ridden into the ground and am assuming a new one will be fine.
You had any issues?

Motozulu

Über Member
Well, it's ordered just got to wait now, I think for the price and the spec list - it's a piggin bargain of a bike.

ZERO.1

BIRD-ZERO-1

£1,310.00

1 x Bird Zero Acid Yellow/Hot Pink Large (19" / 45 cm) £0.00
1 x Bird frame lifetime transferrable warranty £0.00
1 x XT/Turbine 1x10 Groupset £0.00
1 x Shimano Zee mech Shadow+ FR £0.00
1 x Shimano XT 11-36 cassette £0.00
1 x Shimano XT iSpec B gear shifter 1x10 £0.00
1 x RaceFace Narrow Wide Chainring - 32T Black £0.00
1 x X-Fusion Sweep RL2 140mm - Black £0.00
1 x XT Fr & Rr brakes £0.00
1 x Hayes lightweight Fr (180mm) & Rr (160mm) Rotors £0.00
1 x RaceFace Turbine Wheelset (1800g) £0.00
1 x Tubeless Set Up Including Valves/Tape/Sealant (230g) £0.00
1 x Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 EXO TR 3c Maxx Terra (825g) £5.00
1 x Maxxis Ardent 2.25 EXO TR Dual Compound (715g) £0.00
1 x RaceFace Atlas Riser - 1/2" 750mm Black (333g) £2.50
1 x RaceFace Atlas stem - 50mm Black (155g) £2.50
1 x Cane Creek Forty Tapered Headset (130g) £0.00
1 x RaceFace Half Nelson Grips - Black (92.5g) £0.00
1 x RaceFace Ride Seatpost (295g) £0.00
1 x Hope QR seat clamp 34.9 - black £0.00
1 x Charge Scoop Saddle - Black top/Black Base, Cro Mo Rails (245g) £0.00
Given weight at approx 12.2kg.

OP
OP
R

razer17

Nice. I'm assuming it has arrived by now, how is it?

I did a "half frontflip" on mine the other day. Tackled a really steep descent, chickened out and stopped, which was a terrible idea as I just ended up going arse over tit. Slammed the seat down, tried it again and made it. Maybe I need a dropper...

Motozulu

Über Member
And yes, having done my first Peak district ride on Weds I can confirm trying to stop on steep is NOT a good idea, you have to commit and speed is your friend.

I still came off but not as much as I thought - this is just one of the awesome trails we rode. No, I wouldn't fancy tackling this and 'The Beast' or 'Spud Alley' on the Bird!

2upxzky.jpg

Motozulu

Über Member
Jody, I have absolutely no idea - we were being guided by a local lad who rides the Peaks regularly and he knew exactly what we were and were'nt supposed to ride.... we even had an exchange with one of your arsey walker types who told us we shouldn't be riding the flagstone challenge path. Our guide calmly told him that the status had been changed to bridleway and after consulting his phone the walker stomped off defeated. Pratt!

So I would assume it was ok.

Jody

Stubborn git
Could you ask your guide if he has any info on that part dropping back down to the A57. If you're allowed on it then I am having ago next trip to t'dam.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Dropper posts :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Giant Contact Switch SL is around £135 if you shop around like I did, got a 30.9mm one at roughly that price but paid a few £ for a shim to bring it up to 31.6mm. Gear cable actuated so really easy to route and trim down excess..

Only problem is I need another one for my hardtail :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Could you ask your guide if he has any info on that part dropping back down to the A57. If you're allowed on it then I am having ago next trip to t'dam.
Is it the permissive bridleway from halfway down Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat bridge?

Top Bottom