Need help picking a new hard tail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
Cubist the answer I got was.....

"no mate as I said its not marked on any map iv seen. in fact its also known as 'the unmarked singletrack'.it starts from the western end of the bridleway at whinny lee tor and heads virtually south, down ladybower tor then it meets the bridleway at ladybower house"

Hope that makes sense to you - for me as a Peaks newbie I haven't got a clue.

Motozulu

Über Member
And Razer....I am in love with this bike already... what a choice we have made...

24vjfh4.jpg

OP
OP
R

razer17

The bike sure is a thing of beauty, great picture that, too.

I've managed to get a couple of scratches on mine, including a couple of the bit that attaches the brake lever to the handlebar. Those are from my unplanned half front flips.

Did develop a slight clicking type noise a while ago. Couldn't figure out what was causing it, till I realised that it only happened when I was in the saddle, so I undid the clamp, repositioned the seat post, and did the clamp back up. Problem is gone, so I have to assume that I messed up and just didn't tighten the clamp properly. Been having a lot of fun on it, though. Especially doing skids, which I know is probably killing my tyre life, but it's so much fun.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubist the answer I got was.....

"no mate as I said its not marked on any map iv seen. in fact its also known as 'the unmarked singletrack'.it starts from the western end of the bridleway at whinny lee tor and heads virtually south, down ladybower tor then it meets the bridleway at ladybower house"

Hope that makes sense to you - for me as a Peaks newbie I haven't got a clue.
The photo you posted lines up with the bridge so you can find it on satellite view

Cubist

Still wavin'
The bike sure is a thing of beauty, great picture that, too.

I've managed to get a couple of scratches on mine, including a couple of the bit that attaches the brake lever to the handlebar. Those are from my unplanned half front flips.

Did develop a slight clicking type noise a while ago. Couldn't figure out what was causing it, till I realised that it only happened when I was in the saddle, so I undid the clamp, repositioned the seat post, and did the clamp back up. Problem is gone, so I have to assume that I messed up and just didn't tighten the clamp properly. Been having a lot of fun on it, though. Especially doing skids, which I know is probably killing my tyre life, but it's so much fun.

Charge spoons are renowned for creaking and clicking. All of mine do.!

OP
OP
R

razer17

Charge spoons are renowned for creaking and clicking. All of mine do.!
It wasn't the seat itself, since it went away when I redid the clamp. If it does start creaking a little, I'm not too fussed, because it's a great seat, the comfiest I've owned. I have bought another one to put on my roadie.

Motozulu

Über Member
Razer I did put a bit of helitape in strategic positions but not much, scratches are part of a MTB and proves they are being used properly!

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Razer I did put a bit of helitape in strategic positions but not much, scratches are part of a MTB and proves they are being used properly!
Hi
Just resurrecting this thread because I'm hoping to buy one next month!

I've ridden Bird's Zero TR and AM, which are both superb. Ragley Piglets are now down to £949 on Chain Reaction, though...

I like the Nukeproof Scout as well! Has anyone ridden one of those?

No,but I can give you a wee bit of detail on a Blue Pig ^_^
Rode one this time last year,and in short, it was a blast down hills and a good climber for a bike with a slack head angle.It also felt quite (absorbent ??) and soaked up the rough stuff.
I only had it for 30 mins as the actual owner was getting very paranoid about someone canning it on his pride and joy.
(It didn't stop him hooning mine though).
A big shout then to Ragley's bikes from me.
Sorry,I know that's not what you were looking for.
But y'know :blush:

Here's a left field suggestion. Jamis Komodo Pro. I've had the 2016 version for a year now.
Fox 32 fork, 2x10 that has a better spread than my old 3x8, dropper post, hydraulic discs, tubeless compatible 27.5 wheels, wide Ritchey bars.
Originally a £1300 bike but down around £970 at Evans.
It'll take more punishment than I can dish out. I even find the saddle comfy, which is a rarety for me.

I know I'm getting to old fart type age but I've not regretted buying a relative unknown once. It seems Jamis are popular in the US.

Here's a left field suggestion. Jamis Komodo Pro. I've had the 2016 version for a year now.
Fox 32 fork, 2x10 that has a better spread than my old 3x8, dropper post, hydraulic discs, tubeless compatible 27.5 wheels, wide Ritchey bars.
It'll take more punishment than I can dish out. I even find the saddle comfy, which is a rarety for me.

I know I'm getting to old fart type age but I've not regretted buying a relative unknown once. It seems Jamis are popular in the US.

Not the first name on my lips,but good shout with that one .

3narf

For whom the bell dings

Thanks, I'll certainly take a look! Yes, they're a big brand in the US apparently. What happened to KHS? They were big in the '90s then they stopped importing them. Marin have always had a big presence over here, for a small company.

PS I used to pass through Penistone regularly on the way to my dad's in Yorkshire. I do miss living in Hayfield...

Last edited:
Top Bottom