need help standing and pedalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
No it isn't.

My hundred milers are all fully seated. The 105Kkm audax I did at the weekend at 30kph average (18.4mph) was all seated. The only time I ever stand is if I get caught in the wrong gear at a stop I wasn't expecting. I ride faster up hills than guys who stand up. Standing up is just a great way of getting tired legs, and is utterly unnecessary.

Maybe for you, but I disagree. User9609 uses standing up to relieve tired leg muscles. I find standing up now and then on a long ride helps to stop my bum aching too much. Whether or not standing up is useful for a particular rider depends on the rider.

PS I made sure her saddle bag had an accident to ensure its removal rapido! So getting better definitely

Mr Spinney sometimes nags me not to take too much. But I prefer having a spare layer, enough tools to sort things out, enough food, a lock for cafe stops etc. If this seems like too much gear to take on a long ride to some people - tough. If I do a long ride I'm doing it for myself, and if I want to take along spare layers I will. Yes, I would survive without them, but it's up to me.

MikeG

Guru
Maybe for you, but I disagree. User9609 uses standing up to relieve tired leg muscles. I find standing up now and then on a long ride helps to stop my bum aching too much. Whether or not standing up is useful for a particular rider depends on the rider.
I was meaning standing up to climb hills, not standing up occasionally to relieve pressure on your bum. I might do this a couple of times on a hundred miler, maybe, but only when coasting.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
My standing up is mostly for relief on the bum and not for efficiency. Though standing does sometimes get me over the top of a long and tiring hill.
Seems, riding so you enjoy the ride today and still want to do it all again tomorrow is what counts - unless your a pro :bicycle:like my mate Cav. I'm looking for the 'dream on' smilie :giggle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have seen very few, if any hill climb competitors sitting and spinning all the way up a hill, most certainly not seen any of the winners doing so...

Yet I see people like Froome doing it in grand tours...

My conclusion, it is highly dependant on circumstances, not least the type of hill, but also what has preceeded and what will follow, whether that be nothing (hill climb) another hill on the same ride/race (bike ride, sportive or single stage road race etc), or another 100 mile stage (grand tour).

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have seen very few, if any hill climb competitors sitting and spinning all the way up a hill, most certainly not seen any of the winners doing so...

Yet I see people like Froome doing it in grand tours...

My conclusion, it is highly dependant on circumstances, not least the type of hill, but also what has preceeded and what will follow, whether that be nothing (hill climb) another hill on the same ride/race (bike ride, sportive or single stage road race etc), or another 100 mile stage (grand tour).
Do you spin up Long Hill Rob or would you be out of the saddle all the way in a hc? I tend to spend most of my time spinning up hills like that or The Cat where the gradient is pretty low and only get out of the saddle where there are short steeper bits, albeit on the Cat that is the first mile or two.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you spin up Long Hill Rob or would you be out of the saddle all the way in a hc? I tend to spend most of my time spinning up hills like that or The Cat where the gradient is pretty low and only get out of the saddle where there are short steeper bits, albeit on the Cat that is the first mile or two.

I would be seated and staying low and aero up a climb like Long Hill and most of the Cat (those climbs are a low gradient with high speeds, I'd be tempted to go in full aero getup next time tbh, I used a disc wheel, trispoke and aero lid on the Cat and Fiddle once, kind of wish I did the last time I raced, it might have been worth a few places), but something like the Rake or Peaslows, I'll be out of the saddle and relying on a catcher waiting at the top to help me dismount safely.

I prefer to sit down and push rather than wrestle, but if it is faster to wrestle, I'll get out of the saddle and wrestle. Not going to sit down and do a shoot time because the science says it is more efficient to sit!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Absolutely right Robert.

And why I'd everyone having a pop now? All I'm doing is teaching a girl to stand so that on a 100miler she can stretch her legs and not have too much butt pain. Not trying to make her the next contador or teach her to stand so she can sprint up hills.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Absolutely right Robert.

And why I'd everyone having a pop now? All I'm doing is teaching a girl to stand so that on a 100miler she can stretch her legs and not have too much butt pain. Not trying to make her the next contador or teach her to stand so she can sprint up hills.

As I said before, most people tend to develop better technique and form as they grow more confident or as their fitness increases. So whilst you may have good intentions (quite frankly, I don't want to debate that) you may do well to just let her do as she does. If it doesn't correct itself in time, then maybe she will ask for help or you can mention it, but even so, if it causes no problems or there is a reason she does this (which might not be immediately obvious) and it works for her, then just leave it be. I've been told to drop my heel, doesn't seem to hinder me pedalling toes down and pedalling otherwise is not comfortable (even with perseverance my achilles hurts) so I carry on pedalling the way I do and it is fine!

MikeG

Guru
And why I'd everyone having a pop now? All I'm doing is teaching a girl to stand ........

If that was all you were doing, Jason, and you were listening to the responses, then nobody would be "having a pop". Unfortunately, you've told posters to get out of the thread, you've ignored the advice and suggestions given, and you have managed to give everyone the impression that you are actually teaching us, rather than her.

Have you actually read the paper by Prof. David Swain that I linked to?

MikeG

Guru
[QUOTE 3071443, member: 9609"]...... cadence ........ is also very likely to cause musculoskeletal problems.......[/QUOTE]

Really? Don't suppose you've got any evidence?

MikeG

Guru
Well, that sentence covers two separate issues: early onset of tiredness (which is already disproven by the science), and musculo-skeletal problems. It is the latter claim I am interested in, as it runs contrary to what I understand to be the case. I wondered if you have any evidence that sitting and spinning causes such physical problems?

KneesUp

Guru
All I'm doing is teaching a girl to stand so that on a 100miler she can stretch her legs and not have too much butt pain.

But you've said she can stand on her pedals, which means that if she decides she wants to stretch her legs, she can do.

What you're doing is insisting that she honks the bike in a manner that you approve of whilst she does so, and quite a few of us are

a) not sure why
b) not entirely comfortable with the way you come across, which is a little controlling.

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 3071555, member: 9609"]The body dose not cope well with any repetitive task, hence RSI - do you have any evidence that sitting and spinning for prolonged periods is not likely to set up musculoskeletal problems in some people.[/QUOTE]
The onus is on the one making the claim, surely?

(My body has coped very well with me breathing continously for some time now.)

MikeG

Guru
[QUOTE 3071555, member: 9609"]The body dose not cope well with any repetitive task, hence RSI - do you have any evidence that sitting in the same position and spinning for prolonged periods is not likely to set up musculoskeletal problems in some people.[/QUOTE]

I note your lack of evidence.

Oh, and let me help you with the concept of burden of proof. Your claim, you back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom