Negotiating phone contracts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know your current provider will (sensibly) try and get you to re-sign before your existing contract completes, therefore keeping you for another 12\18\24months, but I have no experience of trying to switch to another provider before the existing contract completes.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
As 2Loose says, theyre likely to try and get you to re-sign a contract with them before youre free for the other providers to tempt you away. Lots of people are so impatient, if theyre offered the latest smartphone with a tiny discount theyll take it rather than wait a month and shop around.

OP
OP
fatblokish

fatblokish

Guru
OK, but why would my existing provider need my custom so much more than a new provider that it is willing to offer me a better deal?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
swap - or at least phone your provider and ask for the pac code - dont know why but they go into a tail spin . i was with orange 200mins 18quid ,found virgin were doing 1100 mins for 14 quid - i told orange and they damn near matched it - but i changed anyway as there were other perks as well and it was very easy to change - i will try this with all insurances and anything else that involves negotiation - loyalty now means nothing to these companies

Berties

Fast and careful!
its all down to if you get a upgrade or a new phone!if you have a rolling contract using a current phone you should get a spot on deal but if you get a £300 phone on a 2 year contract you pay for the hardware

edindave

Über Member
Why is it best to do this a month or so before one's contract expires?

So you can change and not be tied in to another 2 year/18month whatever contract. :thumbsup:

If you're thinking about doing it look at quidco and other places like it - you can get cash back for new deals. When my mum wanted a new phone I took out an O2 'sim only' deal for her, a £10 a month, and I think I got £120 cash back! That was a couple of years ago but other deals are there.

Phones are like insurance, electricity, and any other utility - you should shop around every so often. And the cash back deals from places like quidco make it worth it :thumbsup:

P.S. that's not a referral link to quidco! Just sharing the love :thumbsup:

Garz

Squat Member
I always near renewal time inform my provider that I am leaving to see what they are offering. Then the next step (as you have written down their current best offer) is to request your PUK code (i think it's called). Once this process has begun they realise you are leaving, this is the time to get in touch with the retentions department when you have seen the best deals out there.

Armed with the other competitors deals you can then barter a new contract with them, I push them as best I can till agreeing a new deal. This of course helps if you have a positive person on the other end, if you get a grumpy barsteward then say you will have a think and call back.

This works best for me and gives me a cracking tariff every time with one of the latest handsets. Good luck!

RhythMick

Über Member
I will never again sign a 12 month or greater contract with a supplier.

Friend of mine came back into the country a month ago and I told him I'm switching to GIFFGAFF when my contract comes up next year. He went for it and the experience has been brilliant. Transferred his mobile no problem. £10 per month for 250 minutes plus unlimited text and unlimited data. Stunning.

Best of all, it's a 1-month contract. Not happy? Walk away. Suppliers who offer 1-month contracts have confidence in their service.

Top Bottom