Neighbour won't collect his parcel - what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
TNT asked me to sign for a box recently for a lad who lives about six houses away from me. No problem, although whatever it is it's massive, 4 foot by 3 foot, and it's blocking my hall way. I wouldn't mind that a bit for a day or two, but it's been two whole weeks now. I don't know this guy to speak to by the way, only by sight.

I've been and knocked on the door when I've seen his car and van arrive of an evening, but he doesn't answer it. I put a letter through the door after a week reminding him he has a parcel, and I've called and text messaged his phone (it's printed on the delivery slip). Nothing. It's now really getting on my tits. What would you do?

I've thought of just leaving it on his doorstep but if anything happens to it, he's bound to be one of those knuckleheads who holds a grudge.
Watch out the window until you see him outside going to his car or something and then run out. That way you will be able to catch him face to face. Failing that, build a big catapult and launch it through the air into his garden.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Reminds me of parents laptop that went to 24 instead of 27 so bloke opened it up and used it. Total scum.
A few years ago I had some hospitality FA Cup tickets delivered to me intended for someone with a similar address. Called up the company to report it admittedly laying it on a bit thick about how excited I had initially been because it was my team in the final. Got a call back a couple of hours later, they would put a pair of tickets in the post for me to thank me for my honestly.

It is going to be my standard "importance of being honest" story for my kids.

keithmac

Guru
If sending a text, use *02# as a prefix to the message. This gives you a read receipt, showing the text message has been read. If he reads it.

It called a "delivery report", I used to get them when on Orange years back. You don't know if they've been read though as someone's already said..

byegad

Legendary Member
Being retired we end up with loads of parcels for neighbours, we are happy to help and take them in as a 'good neighbour' policy. However where we used to live there was one guy 5 or 6 doors down who never collected the parcel and we could and often did have something for a week before we saw him and told him we had 'something for him'. His reaction was always along the lines of 'Oh! Yes, I forgot.'

Eventually we started refusing to take stuff in for him. His loss!

Milzy

Guru
Same thing has happened to me. Too massive parcels and it's been over a week. When I'm back from work they're not in. They seem to be in very late and early mornings when I'm at work. Plus they are away every weekend. I'm fuming. One of their boxes is full of plants and they'll probably die.
Why order things online if you're never in??

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You appear to be a voluntary gratuitous bailee.

You could give him notice under the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act that you intend to sell the goods unless collected within a reasonable time. The proceeds of sale after deducting your reasonable expenses are his.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's if he can be bothered to collect the proceeds.

Top Bottom