Never lend your Bike to Anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Some people keep a bike for the sole purpose of lending it to people.

I've got one but it doesn't work.

You mean a rubbish one - thats not a bad idea.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Did he say anything when he returned it to you?

I got back later and my mate said that his mate had said there was some problem with the bungees so he had wrapped them round the seat post. When i went and looked i saw what had happened. I was not happy and my mate made noises about sorting it and get his mate to make it right but i know they are 2 peas out the same pod and theyll do nothing and just let it fade into a distant memory. I could make a fuss but ultimaqtely my own fault.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Yesterday lent my new bike that i recently showcased here on ccf to a mate of one of the blokes i share a house with. I was not really comfortable with the idea from the start as the mate is the kind of guy whod just disappear with the bike but as things generally operate on the basis anyone can use anything of anybodys i reluctantly said ok with the predictable result that my mates mate took no care, rode of with the bungee straps hanging down , ripped out a load of spokes , buckled the wheel and also managed to get the seat completly loose so my new bike is now completely soiled in my eyes.
So i dont think id lend my bike to anyone now.

I'm sorry, but (and I'm not a violent person by nature) that SOB would have got a slap right in the nose. How can anyone show such a disrespect for someone else's property? ....... especially one's pride and joy

Nothing should come between a man and his bike other than a comfortable pair of Nalinis
cool.gif

JamieRegan

Things like this make me wild!!!!

Apollo, you need to grow a pair and get this sorted. Why would you allow this to happen to yourself? Have some respect for yourself, get him to fix it and then get them out of your life.

Surround yourself with decent people not goons like this. Why would you even refer to him as a mate, and why would you allow him to use anything of yours under the guise of 'helping each other out'? This issue is way bigger than just a broken bike. FFS!

Rant over.

Cal

It's horrible when people have no respect for others property - surely right-minded people take more care of stuff they've borrowed than their own?

My two penn'orth; You don't sound too confident of him paying for repairs. The hassle of trying to get recompense might not be worth it if he's perhaps the type that'd consider it his god given right to borrow the bike whenever he wants, if he's "invested" in it.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Things like this make me wild!!!!

Apollo, you need to grow a pair and get this sorted. Why would you allow this to happen to yourself? Have some respect for yourself, get him to fix it and then get them out of your life.

Surround yourself with decent people not goons like this. Why would you even refer to him as a mate, and why would you allow him to use anything of yours under the guise of 'helping each other out'? This issue is way bigger than just a broken bike. FFS!

Rant over.

I actually refered to him as one of the blokes i share a house with and the other goon was a mate of his , but i take your points on board that if the universe was all spinning as it should i would grow a pair , do the necessary and get satisfaction and over other stuff i have done just that like i lent this same housemate a windows cd and he of course completely scratched it up - undiscovered tribes in the amazon could have predicted that i know - and i made him buy a new one and he did , its not deliberate damaging stuff its just a total careless attitude and theyre like it with there own stuff that is why theyve nothing worth stealing.
I forgot - they do look after their clothes and ive sold a few flashy hoodies on ebay that they no longer use and just leave lying about.
In other respects theyre ok but property rights and looking after stuff theyre not good i agree.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

It's horrible when people have no respect for others property - surely right-minded people take more care of stuff they've borrowed than their own?

My two penn'orth; You don't sound too confident of him paying for repairs. The hassle of trying to get recompense might not be worth it if he's perhaps the type that'd consider it his god given right to borrow the bike whenever he wants, if he's "invested" in it.

Yes personally im inclined not to borrow other peoples stuff for fear that i might break it - other people borrow stuff without asking, break it and then put it back like they never borrowed it or it just disappears.
I could persue it and thay probably would in a bemused way pay for it all the time wondering why im so upset over an old bike but at the end of the day i principally blame myself for agreeing to lend it in the first place and i can probably get another wheel for a couple of pound so it isnt the end of the world , just a lesson learnt costing a couple of £.
As you say best not let them feel like its in any way their entitlement to use the bike by virtue of having paid to get it repaired.
Also im pretty chilled as well - you have to be when you live in a house with a load of goons.
If i hadnt been in when they wanted the bike they probably woudnt even have asked me , in which case i would have made they pay to repair it but i agreed to letting an irresponsible incompetent use my bike so imho i also have to share alot of the blame.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I lent my roadie to a mate a couple of Months ago.

It was returned, sparkling with a wax coat, having been stripped and rebuilt, gears all re indexed, wheels trued, it was like new
biggrin.gif

I keep trying to get him to borrow all my bikes now but he's just not having it
laugh.gif

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

I lent my roadie to a mate a couple of Months ago.

It was returned, sparkling with a wax coat, having been stripped and rebuilt, gears all re indexed, wheels trued, it was like new
biggrin.gif

I keep trying to get him to borrow all my bikes now but he's just not having it
laugh.gif

That sounds to good to be true - are you sure he didnt recklessly damage your bike and then have to steal a new one to give back to you ?
That would also explain why he dosnt want to borrow any others. :thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wait a minute.... you've sold stuff that belongs to them? What did you do with the money? And you're moaning about them doing a few pounds worth of damage to your bike.... that you allowed them to wreck through not taking a stand on it?

Rolls eyes.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
That sounds to good to be true - are you sure he didnt recklessly damage your bike and then have to steal a new one to give back to you ?
That would also explain why he dosnt want to borrow any others. :thumbsup:

biggrin.gif

No, he's just a good mate, and appreciated the fact I loaned him an expensive bike for the day. He also used to be a bike shop mechanic so it wasn't that big a deal to him

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are these mates young males - like students ? Don't sound responsible at all. I have never lent my bikes to anyone, ever. Not even clubmates - no-one ever rode someone else's bike - it went as far as picking them up for weight and pinging the tubes. :thumbsup:

I'd expect them to replace the wheel in this case.

The only time I nearly killed a clubmate was when in the Isle of Mann on my brand new bike, with full Dura Ace. The front downtube shifter on SIS levers doesn't sit flush with the tube, always remains partly raised - SIS was brand new then, and he forced the lever - which knackered the stop within the lever - I very nearly killed him. Fortunately I was able to repair the stop with superglue and a bit of plastic, and it's not needed touching in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom