New 2017 Brompton - I've succumbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your pic well illustrates the difference. A further trip to Cycle Heaven York and they said it is possible to upgrade to the new bars and gear shifters as long as the cables were shortened. Brompton might not want to encourage this tinkering in case it works better than the M &S types - by hitting the goldilocks riding position.

12boy

Guru
Perennial Cycles in Minneapolis have been selling this for some time, riser bars and necessary cabling.
http://www.perennialcycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6645&idcategory=39. So, if this is the sort of thing you like it is fairly easily done.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Your pic well illustrates the difference. A further trip to Cycle Heaven York and they said it is possible to upgrade to the new bars and gear shifters as long as the cables were shortened. Brompton might not want to encourage this tinkering in case it works better than the M &S types - by hitting the goldilocks riding position.

I suppose it would look a little neater if you did shorten the cables, but I reckon you could probably get away without doing so. If I was in your shoes I'd trawl eBay for a cheap bar and install it without shortening the cables to see what it looks like.

If you're right about Brompton not encouraging tinkering a quick Google for 'Modified Brompton' suggests that the've well and truly lost that battle!

Kell

Veteran
It is/was possible to fit longer bar ends to an H-type. I did it on my 2015 version. I specifically went for an H-type - even though I'm just 6ft - because I knew I wanted to put bar ends and low risers on to make the position somewhere between an S and an M.

Doesn't foul at all when folding.

13055405_10153387180991021_7546261679162683282_n.jpg

13076591_10153387180896021_4651290873566575953_n.jpg

mitchibob

Über Member
It is/was possible to fit longer bar ends to an H-type. I did it on my 2015 version. I specifically went for an H-type - even though I'm just 6ft - because I knew I wanted to put bar ends and low risers on to make the position somewhere between an S and an M.

Doesn't foul at all when folding.]

Can I ask what those grips/bar-ends are? They look interesting.

Also, what you using for a bottle holder? Most of the time, I have the T-bag on, so just use the bottle holder on that, but for some days, I'm thinking I can just get away with something that'll just hold my emergency tools, tube and waterproof, especially as it gets warmer.

Kell

Veteran
The grips came from my ill-fated Dahon, They're some type of ergonomic thing that uses an ellen bolt to clamp on. But I don't know details. Very comfy though and about the only think I bothered to rescue when the frame snapped.

The bar ends are a cheap pair that I've fitted to various MTBs since buying them in the early 90s. Literally no idea what brand they are. The only thing I did to them over the years is put some cheap foam grips on them because they used to get really cold in the winter.

And then when the foam grips started looking tatty, I wrapped them in duct tape.

The bottle cage, I can help you with. It's a Monkii clip with the associated bottle holder. Works really well as you can remove the clamp and turn the bottle over when it's folded so it doesn't leak everywhere.

By sitting it offset like that it tucks in neatly when folded too. I use it to house the battery for my light in the winter and for water in the summer.

I got mine from here:

http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/brompton-gifts/monkii-clip/#.WL_u9Hprgic
http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/brompton-gifts/monkii-cage-bicycle-bottle-cage/#.WL_wAXprgic

Kell

Veteran
I suppose it would look a little neater if you did shorten the cables, but I reckon you could probably get away without doing so. If I was in your shoes I'd trawl eBay for a cheap bar and install it without shortening the cables to see what it looks like.

If you're right about Brompton not encouraging tinkering a quick Google for 'Modified Brompton' suggests that the've well and truly lost that battle!

I forgot to add before, I went from a H to somewhere in between an S and an M in bar height. I did it that way around, because I figured I could always shorten the cables if needed, but had I gone from an S and heightened it, it's quite hard to lenghten cables if they ended up being too short.

My bike/cables looked like this afterwards - a little untidy, but caused no problems with the fold.

I eventually got around to shortening them. and there's no difference in performance either way. Although I did find that it's a right PITA to do.

13096253_10153387180686021_8990633500591195706_n.jpg

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
A few hundred miles in and a few more changes - I do enjoy tinkering:laugh:

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

Back to the original style bars (in black) black seatpost, B17, 44t chainwheel and converted to a L type.

Still a bit of a work in progress...next change is to Tannus tyres, which I've just ordered.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I much prefer the S bars but def. go for bar ends as they are great. The hand grips as standard on mine were a bit rubbish so they got changed as well.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I much prefer the S bars but def. go for bar ends as they are great. The hand grips as standard on mine were a bit rubbish so they got changed as well.

The S bars are just too low for me. I'm swapping between the standard grips and Ergon, but not convinced I like either. Something else to look into in more detail - point about bar ends noted, thanks.

Top Bottom