New 2017 Brompton - I've succumbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The updated shape of the M/H type handlebar requires alterations to the handlebar support assembly - so in order to fit the new bars to a MY2016 or earlier example, this frame part would also need changing. From Brompton website.

wotacon!

reppans

Really sorry to see the old M bar go - rigged a hand grip position in the bottom of my '16 M bar and am using it ~half the time or more. Adds a drop/aero position that's now my favorite mod for closing the gap to my 700x32 cross/gravel bike in terms of speed, comfort, and efficiency.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
The updated shape of the M/H type handlebar requires alterations to the handlebar support assembly - so in order to fit the new bars to a MY2016 or earlier example, this frame part would also need changing. From Brompton website.

wotacon!

Is the "handlebar support assembly" different in some way?

Is the clamp wider / narrower? I can't think of any other reason why bars couldn't be swapped - it must be one of the oldest modifications that anyone's ever made, to a Brompton or any other sort of bike (...thinks back to cowhorn bars on a Raleigh 3 speed racer in 1974...!!)

Kell

Veteran

wotacon!

As others have said, I'd be surprised. Unless they've changed the diameter of the bars from the industry ISO standard 25.4, then there's no reason why a new set of bars wouldn't fit an older Brommie.

It could be Brompton just using techno -speak in order to dissuade owners of the older model from making a cheap upgrade to the latest M bars and hitting the sweet spot in height, as a result of the older shorter stem on the older model.

The term "handlebar support assembly" for example, what does this mean exactly, double talk for stem, and assuming you require lthe same height as an upgrade. Visually it does look the same. If so only the cables would need to be reduced in length.

Last edited:
Top Bottom