New 2017 Brompton - I've succumbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Isn't it odd how circumstances sometimes combine to almost force your hand?!

I had a small windfall a couple of weeks ago and last week an hour to kill in Leicester gave me a chance to pop into Evans and test ride a Brompton.

The combined events led directly to me picking this up yesterday:

IMG_0537.JPG

It's a H6R, absolutely standard bar the telescopic post and carrier block (which I believe Evans fit to all Bromptons they supply).

I've only had time to take it on a 20 minute shakedown ride so far, but I grinned a lot in that 20 minutes^_^

looks great - saddle looks comfy.....
Do you have a purpose in mind for it ? - or did you buy purely because of the windfall ?

12boy

Guru
Looks very nice. I wonder how long it will be before, just like most of us, you start modifying it and spending time tinkering. 2 different great things to do in retirement. It would appear you are a tall individual and may find some bar ends allow you to stretch out a bit.

Melvil

Bar ends a very good idea indeed. Fab Foodie on this very forum suggested an excellent pair and they are the best thing I have done to my S6l

Last edited:

Melvil

PS bar ends are Ergon GP2

mitchibob

Über Member
PS bar ends are Ergon GP2

I got these too. Made a huge difference, although, even with my small hands, I wonder if I should've just got slight longer Ergon GP3 grips, as I'm not sure they would affect the fold anymore on my M-bars than the GP2s. I just tend to lean the bike I little when I drop the handlebars so that one of the ends doesn't scuff the ground. But hugely extends the choice of positions to have your hands, and provides a much better grip generally. Even grippy without gloves, for the very few times I ride without them. Even pushing the bike one-handed is easier with decent grips.

I bought the small size GP2 grips, and on my 2016 M2L, only had to move the brake levers a little without having to shorten the grips. Didn't affect my braking or gear changes, and took about 15-20 minutes to do.

mitchibob

Über Member
Isn't it odd how circumstances sometimes combine to almost force your hand?!
The combined events led directly to me picking this up yesterday:

Nice.

I can't tell from the picture, but are the 'brompton stickers' overly glossly compared to the matt finish of the paintwork? They were on mine, and as it's clearly a Brompton, they were the first things I removed. Somehow, I thought they cheapened it. Although, that was also after riding Brompton Dock bikes for a few months that are absolutely covered in stickers.

I'm intrigued about the new M-Bars too. I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace more than just the bars when the shelf life runs out on mine?

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
The stickers are matt and look OK I think, but one is already beginning to peel off, so I'll probably be removing them in the not too distant future.

I believe that the new M bars have less rise than the old ones - although as a new owner I'm only repeating what I've read, so am happy to be corrected on this. If this is true then I imagine a straight swap would be straightforward.

I think the current M and H types share the same bar, with the "stem" being longer on the H type.

When I asked Cycle Heaven in York about changing to the new M bars and gear levers, they said it wasn't straightforward, as you also had to change the stem - because it will interfere with the fold. I came away bewildered and didn't understand how this could be so. I thought it would be ideal with the new bars and old stem knocking a few inches off, thus making it more sporty without the neck breaking position of the S bars.

chriscross1966

Über Member
The new M and S share a stem, the H uses the same upper stem and a spacer piece to allow use of the old M bars, its a production engineering cost control measure, the upper stems are expensive to make, having only one type for three bars is a good idea. Handlebars are cheap to make, even the nutjob P-types... It's just bent lightweight tube...

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Let the tinkering begin!

I'm playing around with the riding position and have installed a cheap handlebar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152136992669

These put the height of the handlebar somewhere between the M and H and also allow the brake levers to be rotated forward slightly, giving a more natural position for me.

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

I need to get a few miles in before I decide if this will be a permanent change, but initial impressions are that it gives a compromise position that suits me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom