New arrival: Dawes Kingpin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I bought this a week ago or so and collected it today: a 1977 purple 20" 3 speed shopping bike. All original and intact, although the 3 speed hub needs a bit of work to shift properly. It's got new tyres so has had some work recently. Also there's quite a few scratches that'll need paint. Well worth the small sum paid.

s-l1600.jpg

I was toying with the idea of audaxing on a Raleigh Shopper but the overall weight (and difficulty of reducing it) plus the non-standard bottom bracket put me off. This should be easier to work on.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I bought this a week ago or so and collected it today: a 1970's purple 20" 3 speed shopping bike. All original and intact, although the 3 speed hub needs a bit of work to shift properly. Also there's quite a few scratches that'll need paint. Well worth the small sum paid.

View attachment 486249

I was toying with the idea of audaxing on a Raleigh Shopper but the overall weight (and difficulty of reducing it) plus the non-standard bottom bracket put me off. This should be easier to work on.

I’m sure I saw that posted on the Kingpin Facebook page, love that colour. KPs are great. Now you can come on the small wheeler ride in Oxford on Sunday. :okay:

You might want to change the saddle :huh:

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I’m sure I saw that posted on the Kingpin Facebook page, love that colour. KPs are great. Now you can come on the small wheeler ride in Oxford on Sunday. :okay:

You might want to change the saddle :huh:

You did - which is where I picked up the advert from. The seller agreed to hold it until today for me. And yes, I'll change the saddle along with matching and sorting out the paintwork over the next few weeks. It'll also get some maintenance.

As to the small wheeler ride I'd like to but am near Hull with my 15yo as he's got a time trial there. Another time.

You did - which is where I picked up the advert from. The seller agreed to hold it until today for me. And yes, I'll change the saddle along with matching and sorting out the paintwork over the next few weeks. It'll also get some maintenance.

As to the small wheeler ride I'd like to but am near Hull with my 15yo as he's got a time trial there. Another time.

These are delightful bikes, I have, err, "several" ;-) There is an active facebook group (edited to add, I see you've found it) and a fair bit of cross pollination with other small wheeled groups. I'll be on the ride CarlP mentioned and it seems that there's one a month on average. There is one in October in London, organised by a (retired) lad that grew up there. I'll be on that too by the way.

Some of us have improvised two sprockets on to the rear hub of our small wheelers and added a rear derailleur to improve the range of gears, which may be advantageous for bigger rides.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I thought Kingpin referred to the folding mechanism. You live and learn!

Twenties can be fun but braking is appallingly bad. Alloy BMX wheels, a BMX fork with a V-brake and a Duomatic coaster hub sorts it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I bought this a week ago or so and collected it today: a 1970's purple 20" 3 speed shopping bike. All original and intact, although the 3 speed hub needs a bit of work to shift properly. Also there's quite a few scratches that'll need paint. Well worth the small sum paid.

View attachment 486249

That looks a nice example, well done.

Top Bottom