New Bar grips - how to remove the old ones ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CPD

Veteran
I have bought a new pair of grips that incorprate bar ends for my hybrid. Is there a secret in removing the old ones, then another for putting the new ones on ?. I guess there would be no problem in cutting the old ones off - would a bit of fairy liquid or something similar in helping slide the new ones on ?. Thanks as usual.

Norm

Fairy and a long thin screwdriver.

longers

Legendary Member
I used to use hairspray to fit the new ones. Still got half a can I cadged off someone.

Norm

longers said:
I used to use hairspray to fit the new ones. Still got half a can I cadged off someone.
I still do. Excellent stuff, slippery when wet but sets very well. :biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
longers said:

+1. Like Norm says, gives enough lubrication to get them on easily, then sets sticky so they don't twist under pressure.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
If you have access to an air compressor...compressed air blown at the opening will open it right up, and it will slide right off in your hand. Be sure to hold onto it, though, or you will blow it across the room. You can put the new ones on the same way...just push it on as far as it will go, then hit it with the air while you push it the rest of the way on.

Threefingerjoe is right about the compressor, but in the absence of one;

Stanley knife to get the old ones orf then some lick to get the new ones on. If you suffer from loose grips just super glue them to the bar.

Zippy

Knitting needle to slip down the old ones (if you want to keep them for another project that is) and a sqib of hairspray to help them off. Otherwise, Stanley knife.

Hairspray down the new bar grips and slide them on but be quick as when this sets you will need to knitting needle again to move them at all.

Don't get hairspray on the ribbons on your new bar ends as this will stop them fluttering properly in the wind.

Cubist

Still wavin'
WD40

The solvent makes the rubber slippery at first, but then makes it set like rubber solution glue.

Slice the old ones off. Saves buggering about. If you can't afford new grips, then don't take the old ones off. They'll never fit the same again.

Sun Superlight

Compressed air from your bike pump will remove stuck bar end grips very easily.
You need to find a way of sealing the end of the pump to the end of the bar grips whilst blowing air into the inside of the handlebars.
I use one of the hollow needles that come with a computer printer ink refill kit.
It fits in the end of my pump reasonably well and is easily inserted through the rubber of the bar end.
Also, an adapter of the type for blowing up balls or airbeds that you get free with most 12 volt electric tyre pumps will work if your bike pump fits car type valves.
One stroke of the pump is enough to blow each grip off.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cubist said:
Slice the old ones off. Saves buggering about. If you can't afford new grips, then don't take the old ones off. They'll never fit the same again.

I beg to differ, I've taken the same grips on and off at least 15 times and they seem fine.

Top Bottom