New bike day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This is well out of my league so I will close the door on my way out.:notworthy:
Enjoy the bike though.:okay:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Go on then, how much has your average speed climbed on routes you do often?
It's about so much more than just average speeds. It's the feel and the pleasure that owning it brings, those are things that can't be put into words, anymore than explaining a song or a poem that grabs the soul.

I've never met Racing Roadkill, but from his posts he doesn't come across as a guy who would spend more than he could comfortably afford on a bike, so good luck to him.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Go on then, how much has your average speed climbed on routes you do often?
I’ve only been out briefly on it so far, and it’s not tweeked in yet, but 14s were 17s, and 17s were 20s, and I wasn’t really opening the taps, because it’s not quite set right yet. It’s going to be a real eye opener.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
It's about so much more than just average speeds. It's the feel and the pleasure that owning it brings, those are things that can't be put into words, anymore than explaining a song or a poem that grabs the soul.

I've never met Racing Roadkill, but from his posts he doesn't come across as a guy who would spend more than he could comfortably afford on a bike, so good luck to him.
You’re right. Windfalls change things somewhat though.

I’ve only been out briefly on it so far, and it’s not tweeked in yet, but 14s were 17s, and 17s were 20s, and I wasn’t really opening the taps, because it’s not quite set right yet. It’s going to be a real eye opener.
As a non-racing cyclist what does that mean?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It’s quite a complicated bit of kit. Certainly not a case of ‘rotate the bars and put the wheels on, and off you go’. I’ll have to get an electronics engineering degree, then try and figure it out.

For £12k, I wouldn't expect to have to assemble the thing myself - I'd expect it to be put together, properly, by someone - either at the manufacturers, or LBS, who know what they're doing.
No-one expects to have to assemble their own new car themselves (unless you are into niche Lotus 7 copy kits), so why the hell would you be expected to do a DIY build on a bike costing £12k?? I'm gobsmacked.
Different matter if the customer actually asks for it to be supplied un-built, but I can't believe that a top end product would be supplied like this as standard. Even a cheap BSO is more-or-less put together when supplied - possibly not very well put together, but that's a different issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
For £12k, I wouldn't expect to have to assemble the thing myself - I'd expect it to be put together, properly, by someone - either at the manufacturers, or LBS, who know what they're doing.
No-one expects to have to assemble their own new car themselves (unless you are into niche Lotus 7 copy kits), so why the hell would you be expected to do a DIY build on a bike costing £12k?? I'm gobsmacked.
Different matter if the customer actually asks for it to be supplied un-built, but I can't believe that a top end product would be supplied like this as standard. Even a cheap BSO is more-or-less put together when supplied - possibly not very well put together, but that's a different issue.
The complicated bits were put together, and it was pretty much as I’ve received every bike I’ve bought, and not actually gone to pick up from the shop ‘ready to go’. It’s just that this is so complicated, that even the ‘simple’ jobs aren’t ‘simple’. I‘d guess that most people who buy this type of bike aren’t completely new to the cycling game, and it would be a reasonable assumption to make, that they could work it out.

It's normal to receive a mostly assembled bike stripped down slightly for shipping if you don't buy from a LBS close enough to visit. When I bought my Wilier from the UK it was shipped in a box and arrived pretty much as the OP's Bianchi - all the major bits assembled, bar tape on etc and had been through a quality control check. The basic assembly for me was minor and only a consequence of it having to be sent in a box.

My Trek Madone is due to arrive at my LBS early June and that is being assembled by them including a pro bike fit (they did my Wilier bike fit in the end, made a huge difference and better than I did). For that reason I would always recommend getting a good LBS to do the job but a lot of folks are equally competent themselves.

Johnno260

Veteran
My bike isn’t in the same league but I choose the LBS for delivery and assembly, just the piece of mind that they did it correctly.
Then again if someone is happy to do it themselves then why not.
I would maybe try it now when I get my next bike, I keep looking at Ribbles Ti, for a potential future purchase, I need to save more first, it’s that or a Scultura frame to replace my Ride frame at some point, I do like Merida’s and they aren’t too common.

Top Bottom