New bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
This is with the 90mm stem

I dont get the bend in the arm thing because it depends how far i lean forward?

When i sit on it i feel like im being pushed into the hoods? Like sliding forward.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If the hoods are close enough your arms would be bent. Having them bent acts as a shock absorber otherwise you'll potentially get all sorts of nasty jarring through your upper body

Is the saddle flat or even pointing slightly upwards?

If you feel like you're too close what's the problem, you said you were too stretched before? Confused
Are the hoods too big for your hands so you can't brake?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Im defo not too close just feel like im sliding forward into the hoods, ive tried lowering the saddle slightly and lowering the handle bars.
The saddle is level at the mo, may try pointing up slightly

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
20190219_204128.jpg
With seat slightly lower and handle bars lower otherwise feel too up right, this road bike marlarky is a right pain in the ass!

400bhp

Guru
Difficult to say exactly because you have your feel on the ground but Your arms are way too locked out.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
My left leg is on the pedal just hard to see.

Not reslly sure what to adjust to stop arms being locked out? Or do i need even shorter than 90mm stem?

vickster

Legendary Member
My left leg is on the pedal just hard to see.

Not reslly sure what to adjust to stop arms being locked out? Or do i need even shorter than 90mm stem?
Or a smaller bike

Take advantage of the lovely weather and take it for a proper ride and then decide what needs doing

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yes thinking i may need a smaller bike too, very frustrating as he said it was a L.
The fact i cant get the gears to shift smooth is gonna make it hard to sell or cost me money!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes thinking i may need a smaller bike too, very frustrating as he said it was a L.
The fact i cant get the gears to shift smooth is gonna make it hard to sell or cost me money!
Change the cables in the first instance? What shifters does it have as some of the entry level ones can be a little more clunky

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The bike doesn't really look too big to me. It's actually a smaller frame than most of mine!. Randomly tinkering with saddle and bar height is probably not the best way to go. A rider's inside leg measurement determines the correct saddle height, and for efficient and low fatigue pedalling it needs to be set pretty closely to the figures arrived at using the established mathematical formulae. Therefore it should be regarded as a fixed, not variable setting once initially done.
The lower the bars are in relation to the saddle, the more the upper body has to lean forward to reach the brakes. Therefore, if the rider feels uncomfortable with a sensation of falling forwards towards the hoods, the bars need to be raised as much as the adjustment will allow. The closer the bar height is to the rider's natural shoulder height the reach is shortened and less body weight is carried by the arms.

12boy

Guru
Raising seat or handlebars moves them up and back. Raising the nose of the saddle will throw your back on your sitbones and off your hands. Pushing your saddle back, or in your case forward will have the same efect as a shorter stem. I can't believe moving a saddle is always a bad idea, at least partially because saddle rails are made for fore and aft adjustment. BTW, my rule for saddle height is the saddle is high enough so when the pedal is completely down your heel barely touches with a straight leg. Getting a good fit dialed in can take a while, but a bike that doesn't fit is so unpleasant to ride.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you bend your arms and engage your core muscles, then as well as not acting like a sail with your current upright position, you will also find that the pressure goes off your hands and shoulders. You will be faster, but crucially more comfortable. At the moment your photos make you look like you are trying to ride your hybrid in a very upright position.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I'm also a little worried about the wobble in your forks when you put the pinnacle's stem on there. Either you need another spacer on the fork or the preload cap needs tightening to take that play out

I tried it with the original stem again and its still there, very slight but its there.
Ive also tightened the top screw up so much that now it just keeps turning with out getting tighter :sad:

Also ive done exactly as suggested in the video, moves fine on the trainer but soon as i go for a ride it seems to not want to play ball, couple of times the chain got jammed.

One thing ive noticed is the chain dosent run true, so i set a 1 or 2mm gap with the deurailler and as the chain runs through it gets closer sometimes, coud this be a sign something us wrong?

Last edited:
Top Bottom