New bike helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I currently have a Trax helmet which is a bit small, and a relic from maybe 15 years ago.

I ride a road bike and budget is between £50 - £75.

Know some helmets have a light in the back of them, but not sure if they bit of a fad?

I tend to go out for a couple of hours and do 30 miles.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

BS

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to your LBS and try a few on. Fit and comfort are the most important. I probably tried 15 on before settling on the two I now have.

I wouldn’t get one with a light, just put two on your bike :okay:

If you have a Decathlon near you pop in and check some out, they have done good budget friendly options. Likewise Halfords.
Otherwise order in line but make sure they have a reasonable returns policy.

:laugh:Don’t order a helmet online from decathlon, apparently they don’t accept them on safety grounds. Was going to order one and noticed this in the small print.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Attachments

• IMG-20200830-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200830-WA0003.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
It’s a 100 mile round trip for me to pop in. In fact I can’t pop in as the North East is in Tier 4 so will mainly be click and collect and the bike workshop open.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I really like my Specialized Airnet. Comfortable and doesn't stick out like too much which some do making you look like The Mekon. Anyone remember him?
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/helmets/specialized-airnet-helmet

1609527617570.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Problem with PX is no free delivery and no free returns, so if not the correct shape, you’re either stick with it or down a tenner plus in fees.
If buying online, I’d go for a retailer with free delivery and free returns

vickster

Legendary Member
thinking about it, if you use PayPal and are registered for free returns, can save that way.
I think Wiggle free returns might only be through Asda?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/helmets
Reasonably priced , measure your head to get the correct size, might be a bit hard in some areas to try one on in the flesh at the moment

The measurements are spot on. It's not worth just getting one item as you pay post, like a lot of retailers now, but I needed a fair bit of consumables for a refurb on one of my bikes, so having already got a PX helmet already, I ordered another two for me, and one for MrsF at those prices. Different style and colours - don't mind trashing a £13 helmet on branches and trees on my MTB.

They are well made. This is comparing it to a couple of £120 Bell helmets I have owned.

Top Bottom