New bike helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The reflective one from Planet X looks interesting!

DRM

Guru
The measurements are spot on. It's not worth just getting one item as you pay post, like a lot of retailers now, but I needed a fair bit of consumables for a refurb on one of my bikes, so having already got a PX helmet already, I ordered another two for me, and one for MrsF at those prices. Different style and colours - don't mind trashing a £13 helmet on branches and trees on my MTB.

They are well made. This is comparing it to a couple of £120 Bell helmets I have owned.
That’s good to know about sizing as I would recommend trying one on for fit, but with things as they are right now it’s easier said than done

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I prefer to know upfront what I am paying for postage, not have it hidden in the cost of the item like places who offer free delivery do.

I managed to pop into Decathlon and Go Outdoors last week and try some helmets on but ended up ordering the Carnac Notus Road Helmet from planet X, £27 in postage was a good price and less than any I had seen of similar fit / style.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The measurements are spot on. It's not worth just getting one item as you pay post, like a lot of retailers now, but I needed a fair bit of consumables for a refurb on one of my bikes, so having already got a PX helmet already, I ordered another two for me, and one for MrsF at those prices. Different style and colours - don't mind trashing a £13 helmet on branches and trees on my MTB.

They are well made. This is comparing it to a couple of £120 Bell helmets I have owned.

This seems a very cheap and potentially risky option. Using some guestimates and approximate calculations I would question how a cheap helmet could offer any real protection. This £13 helmet has probably around £5.50 value of materials in it.

Materials £5.50
Manufacturers margin (40%) £2.20
PX margin (40%) £3.08
VAT (20%) £2.15

Total £12.93

Personally I wouldn't consider a helmet at this price.

DRM

Guru
This seems a very cheap and potentially risky option. Using some guestimates and approximate calculations I would question how a cheap helmet could offer any real protection. This £13 helmet has probably around £5.50 value of materials in it.

Materials £5.50
PX margin (40%) £3.08
VAT (20%) £2.15

Total £12.93

It has to be built/tested to relevant safety standards, just like a £200 Kask job, I would question how much the top end jobs are charging, I'll bet they come from the same Chinese factory, Planet X couldn't sell dangerous fakes, they'd be shut down.

weareHKR

Materials £5.50
PX margin (40%) £3.08
VAT (20%) £2.15
Total £12.93

EN 1078, entitled Helmets for pedal cyclists and for users of skateboards and roller skates, is a European standard published in 1997. It is the basis of the identical British Standard BS EN 1078:1997.[1] Compliance with this standard is one way of complying with the requirements of the European Personal Protective Equipment Directive (PPE; 89/686/EEC).[1]

The standard was revised in 2012, and then amended the same year, into the EN 1078:2012+A1:2012 standard. This again was the basis of the identical British standard BS EN 1078:2012+A1:2012.[2]

EN 1078 specifies requirements and test methods for bicycle helmets, skateboard and roller skate helmets. It covers helmet construction including field of vision, shock absorbing properties, retention system properties including chin strap and fastening devices, as well as marking and information.[3]

The standard's key features are:[1]

• Test anvils: Flat and kerbstone
  • Drop apparatus: Guided free fall
  • Impact velocity, energy or drop height flat anvil: 5.42–5.52 m/s
  • Impact energy criteria: < 250g
  • Roll-off test: Yes
  • Retention system strength: Force applied dynamically. Helmet supported on headform.
Not bad for £12.93... :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The PX helmets do the job. Had their XC one for over a year. Its well made, and of similar quality to my Bell Volt.

Remember they only really offer scuff protection. Quite handy with the number of low branches I regularly hit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Shape is really key, you can do all the measurements but still find that an appropriately sized helmet feels uncomfortable. Find a brand that is the right shape and stick to that.
Met and Bell helmets for example always hurt my head as they're too round and they put pressure on my temples. POC and Giro on the other hand are wider at the temples and always fit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Remember they only really offer scuff protection. Quite handy with the number of low branches I regularly hit.
That’s the problem isn’t it? Buyers see the EN 1078 certification and may think it has a much higher protection rating than it actually offers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A £15 helmet passing the same tests as a £150 one is at some point just branding and marketing with a touch of materials.

The standards are soo low and meaningless vs the real world it wouldn't be too difficult to pass EN1078, the question that can't be answered is did the £150 one do enough to just scrape a pass or did the £15 exceed and beyond.

Motorcycle helmets are exactly the same

vickster

Legendary Member
Shape is really key, you can do all the measurements but still find that an appropriately sized helmet feels uncomfortable. Find a brand that is the right shape and stick to that.
Met and Bell helmets for example always hurt my head as they're too round and they put pressure on my temples. POC and Giro on the other hand are wider at the temples and always fit.
That didn’t hold true for me, I had a Giro MTB type helmet when I first got back into cycling, but their road ones don’t fit me at all.
Uvex Boss Race best (but no longer made) and an older Kask Mojito I picked up on sale from Sports Pursuit. Whether the newer Kask models would fit I don’t know.

Gunk

Guru
I used to buy fancy helmets and my last one was a well worn S Works. I now just use a Decathlon £20 helmet, looks and feels exactly the same as my sons £70 Specialized. I bought it after trying a myriad of others and this was just the most comfortable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That’s the problem isn’t it? Buyers see the EN 1078 certification and may think it has a much higher protection rating than it actually offers.

Ive only hit my noggin three times in a crash. Each time was more scuff protection. Knocked off by car, shoulder and helmet skidded down road, shoulder came off worse. MTB OTB, shoulder again came off worse, helmet cracked. Hit from behind, ribs came off worse, helmet cracked. Both cracked helmets were Bell Sweep R and not cheap.

Helmets need to be viewed as offering a reduction on concussion and offering scuff protection. Thats it. The PX ones sell by the bucket load and I've never seen any complaints. The Carnac helmets are from the same mould and slightly more expensive.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Mrs @BoldonLad's experience would seem to support that, she had a Bell helmet, and complained of discomfort/headache, that was followed by an Aldi (or perhaps Lidl, I forget) helmet, same problem. Now she has a one from Halfords (click and collect), all were similarly priced, and, in theory, the same size, but, she is comfortable with the Halfords one.

Top Bottom