New bike needs some adjustments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

I've been done around 60 miles on my week old Bianchi Via Nirone, and I think it needs some minor adjustments. I'm sure I can work out what to do but thought I'd run it past you guys first.

1) A couple of times I've managed to up-shift the front chainwheel beyond the outer gear causing the chain to come off. Presumably I can adjust the end-stop bolt on the front deurailleur (sp?) for this? (Tiagra shifters/compact chainset)

2) It's developed a little bit of play in the headset, where the handlebar stem goes into the frame. If I brake using the front brakes it makes a slight knock noise. On closer examination, whilst holding the front brake with one hand and holding the base of the stem and frame with the other, pushing the bike against the brake you can feel a tiny bit of movement at the base of the stem in relation to the frame, only a tiny bit tho. Do I just tighten this up via the socket headed bolt going down thru the top?

3) I'm thinking of raising the handlebars slightly, it looks like there are a number of shims/spacers on there at present so I guess I would need to acquire some more of these and fit accordingly. Any pointers on where I could get some?

Many thanks

Chris

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Recommend before you touch anything that you get hold of a basic manual - for example the Haynes one - and read it - particularly the chapters covering the headset and handlebar adjustment. Re. 1 - yes, but check out the manual first. The other place to look is online - Park Tool website, and bicycle tutor. Also look at the Shimano leaflets that should have come with the bike. Re. 2 & 3 No - don't do it! Some one will be along shortly to explain it all ......
Given the bike is only a week old/60 miles I would seriously consider returning to the dealer and asking them to adjust it - FOC of course.

Echo youngoldbloke[font="'lucida grande"] - as you've just got the bike see if you can get the vendor to do the adjustments FOC.[/font]
[font="'lucida grande"]
[/font]
[font="'lucida grande"]1) Yes.[/font]
[font="'lucida grande"]
[/font]
[font="'lucida grande"]2) Only tighten the top-cap bolt after slackening-off the stem bolts first - then re-tighten the stem bolts having removed the play.[/font]
[font="'lucida grande"]
[/font]
[font="'lucida grande"]3) You can only raise the bars if you currently have one or more spacers above the stem. If that's not the case you can try flipping the stem or fitting a different one.[/font]

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks guys. After a bit more searching, looks like I won't be able to raise the stem any further since the spacers are all below the stem so it looks a bit like this...

headtype40.jpg

I'll check out the Alien8.

Would it be worth getting an adjustable one?

Chris

gbb

Legendary Member
It's not obvious when you look at the stem that its flipped 'up' Chris. Certainly my Via Nirone stem was flipped 'down' when i got it and thats the normal position for the spacers.
The angle of the stem is quite subtle to look at.
Also it may be worth just upturning the handlebars a little so the hoods come towards you.. The combination of flipping the stem and upturning the bars a bit gave me a hell of a lot more comfort.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Done it. The stem as supplied was 'flipped down', so I simply flipped it up. I haven't had chance to try it on the road since it was late last night and raining this morning, but it's got to be better. The cap bolt had to come off to remove the stem so I was able to tighten that up a little extra to remove the play. As for the front DR, I'll adjust it on the road if I get out tonight or next time.

Thanks guys

Chris

Top Bottom