New Bike, new experience, new me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porridge

Hi all

newbie, loved cycling as a kid, now 47 overweight, unfit and all the rest, just started riding to work about a week ago, have been using a 5 year old Apollo gradient mountain bike, found it really hard work !!, its a 9 mile journey to work and im exhausted at the other end.

On monday I was cycling home and my bike broke a couple of miles into my journey, well I had to walk 6 miles...............Best thing that could have happened !!!!!!!!!!

Today I took delivery of an Iron Horse Transit 1.0 and wow what a difference !!, what a fantastic bike !, the difference is amazing, I got a hell of a deal deal from my local bike shop, RRP £350, well after some hard bargaining I got it for an amazing £250, worth every penny and more.

I can thoroughly reccommend the Iron Horse to anyone, its a hybrid and IS REALLY SMOOTH RIDE, it also looks the dogs B*lloocks.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Ok posted that a couple of days ago on another thread, today was first day with my commute to work with my new bike, wow what a difference !

9 miles with 2.5 incline in 35 minutes, shaved 15 minutes of my previous time, I am pleased as punch. :smile:

Iron Horse- thoroughly reccomend,but then I am a newbie

gbb

Legendary Member
Good on ya porridge...you'll be well and truly hooked before you know it.

This is the one thing i keep telling at work...spend a bit extra on a bike..you'll appreciate the difference.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
If we could somehow persuade people that buying a double bouncy bouncy Apollo was a bad idea we might have more people cycling.

How many people have been put off because they bought one of these lumps of pig-iron and found it harder than walking with a badger down your pants...

OP
OP
P

porridge

Hi

Thanks GBB, I think my posts were a tad over enthusiastic, but I just can't believe the difference in me since starting to cycle about a month ago, im losing weight and feeling fitter and more alert every day.

When I paid for the bike on Saturday, I actually broke out into a sweat (I really am an old miser !) anyway I convinced myself that It would pay for itself in no time at all with the saving in petrol, well today was a revelation and I can't agree with you more, get a decent bike !, it really does make all the difference.

With the cost of petrol continuing to rise, I can see a lot more people taking the plunge to cycle.

OP
OP
P

porridge

zimzum42 said:
If we could somehow persuade people that buying a double bouncy bouncy Apollo was a bad idea we might have more people cycling.

How many people have been put off because they bought one of these lumps of pig-iron and found it harder than walking with a badger down your pants...
I couldn't agree more, as far as was concerned, a bike is a bike, is a bike. A better bike definately makes for an easier and more pleasurable jouney, whether it be a commute to work or for leisure at the weekend.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
You could probably make the same quantum leap of quality and time saving again if one day you go up to around the one grand mark and go for lightness. Perhaps best wait until your new found addiction overcomes your thrifty instincts!

OP
OP
P

porridge

Andy in Sig said:
You could probably make the same quantum leap of quality and time saving again if one day you go up to around the one grand mark and go for lightness. Perhaps best wait until your new found addiction overcomes your thrifty instincts!

Well at the moment my new Iron Horse feels like Ferrari, but im sure that an even more expensive bike would be a quantam leap, I plan to justify my recent outlay by saving on the cost of petrol ( a month of cycling to work will near enough cover it) so hopefully I can make it an incentive to put the money aside that I would have spent motoring, to spend on an even more expensive bike? (just like giving up smoking I suppose?)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Sounds like a good target. Be also aware of the law of diminishing returns though. You will no doubt use the intervening time to decide exactly which type of bike best suits your long term needs and then when the time comes you can choose the most tip top model you fancy.

byegad

Legendary Member
Well done porridge. A £350 bike is a lot better than a sub £100, at £1000 you get better components which should last longer and a bit better ride. How much better? Well better than the £350 one but probably not by such a big margin as you've already moved. Enjoy your riding!

domtyler

Über Member
I would agree that the thousand to fifteen hundred pound mark marks the top of the curve. After that you start to get less and less back for your money, like paying another two hundred quid to shave a hundred grammes of a pair of pedals for instance.

Up until then though you will normally get a good level of return for your money.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Keith Oates said:
Welcome Porridge, if you make that your morning breakfast it will also help your commuting.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

I love the stuff, hence my nickname, cold porridge mixed with raisins, strawberries and banannas.

OP
OP
P

porridge

byegad said:
Well done porridge. A £350 bike is a lot better than a sub £100, at £1000 you get better components which should last longer and a bit better ride. How much better? Well better than the £350 one but probably not by such a big margin as you've already moved. Enjoy your riding!

Hi

loving my Iron Horse at the moment, fantastc bike, going to try and get fit, lose weight and save money, hopefully get more serious when I've achieved all that, who Knows?.

Moonlight

When I was a kid I had a cheapy full sus bike and loved it, then got a halfrauds entry road bike and love that even more! It was a massive leap. I had a go on a grands worth of Trek Racing the other day and that was another leap! now I want one as my racing bike....but I'm skint lol.

Top Bottom