New bike wanted: Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Although I have a post here, I thought I might create a new one dedicated to it.

I've decided to go for a cyclocross over a road bike since I cannot give up not cycling on rough ground.

KneesUp mentioned the Croix de Fer, but what other bikes could I look at that cost below £1000? I would like disc brakes to make way for fatter tyres if I wanted, and a bike where I could ride 'fast' on roads.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Spending a grand will give you plenty of choice. I can't really recommend anything myself I thought you got pretty good advice and recommendations on the other thread.

The disc brakes won't make way for or allow bigger tyres, frame clearance will limit that. Running even fat tyres at higher pressures will give you a bit quicker ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
I`ve had 3 CX bikes over the years, first one was a Tricross (Specialized) and was a good workhorse, only let downs were juddering front brake - which won`t affect new models because they are disk anyway, and the bike was a bit heavy for my liking. Next one I had was a Cube Crossrace, what a total dog that was - always in the shop for repairs, always making weird noises, just a general pain in the arse, I gave it away in the end.................

Now I have a Ridley absolutely lovely bike. It`s light, fast, lovely to look at, built for the job, and to me feels as close to a true road bike as you are going to get. Definitely the best out of the three cx bikes I`ve had

OP
OP
F
Boardman CX team, already discounted, another £80 off with British Cycling membership and quidco

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike

Do you truly want a CX bike or would a gravel/adventure type suit?

Not too keen on the Boardman any more and I'm not going to buy a bike from Halfords. Not sure what my local one is like, but I'm not going to take the risk. I'd rather buy a bike from a dealer that knows what they're talking about.

With regard to your question....I'm unsure. I would be on the road most of the time, but with the occasional off-road biking, let's say in forests, or on tracks like the one in my photo below, or on worse tracks with pebbles/rocks, gullies all over. Chainsets are a different matter as I'm surrounded by hills and I need something that would get me up those hills with ease! Of course I would like to invest in a bike where I can ride up hills 'with ease' when I'm fitter. I'm not planning on racing so maybe an adventure bike would suit me. I could always put slick tyres on for roading.

Went for cycle today, and someone over took me going faster than 16mph. So, I guess I would like a chainset/bike where I can keep up.
https://www.strava.com/activities/934267451

27214665231_e15760773e_z.jpg Lily Lochs by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is a lot of bike for the money;

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-2-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV275623

New Tiagra (old 105) and hydraulic brakes seems like a good deal to me.

Interesting gearing too with 48/32 & 11/32.

48x11 is plenty high enough and 32x32 is nice and low.

si_c

Guru
This is a lot of bike for the money;

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-2-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV275623

New Tiagra (old 105) and hydraulic brakes seems like a good deal to me.

Interesting gearing too with 48/32 & 11/32.

48x11 is plenty high enough and 32x32 is nice and low.
I think a 48/32 chainset will become more common, it's better gearing for most people, especially when paired with a wider range cassette like an 11-32 or 34.

I've got the latter and it's great good gearing for a fat lad like me and I've not spun out on the top end yet either.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to your local dealers who you trust and see what they have, get testrides and choose the bike that appeals most

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Not too keen on the Boardman any more and I'm not going to buy a bike from Halfords. Not sure what my local one is like, but I'm not going to take the risk. I'd rather buy a bike from a dealer that knows what they're talking about.

With regard to your question....I'm unsure. I would be on the road most of the time, but with the occasional off-road biking, let's say in forests, or on tracks like the one in my photo below, or on worse tracks with pebbles/rocks, gullies all over. Chainsets are a different matter as I'm surrounded by hills and I need something that would get me up those hills with ease! Of course I would like to invest in a bike where I can ride up hills 'with ease' when I'm fitter. I'm not planning on racing so maybe an adventure bike would suit me. I could always put slick tyres on for roading.

Went for cycle today, and someone over took me going faster than 16mph. So, I guess I would like a chainset/bike where I can keep up.
https://www.strava.com/activities/934267451

View attachment 346464 Lily Lochs by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

By far and away biggest factor in being able to keep up with faster riders or climbing hills with ease is the power source (you) rather than what chain set is fitted.

Top Bottom