New bike wanted: Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought one from edingburgh cycle a couple of years ago. Cable disc and great fun over towpaths and peaks. Notice difference to hydraulic discs tho.

Big Andy

Über Member
I picked up one of these a few weeks ago. Put 32mm tyres on it. Im really impressed with it. https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79889/Whyte_Suffolk_105_2016_Mens_Bike

Kajjal

Guru
Go to your local dealers who you trust and see what they have, get testrides and choose the bike that appeals most

This is very good advice. Think about what you want from the bike.

I bought a Diverge as it had hydraulic disc brakes, the riding position I wanted, takes up to 33mm tyres and handles well on or off road. I now never use my road bike and just fit 25/28 mm tyres for riding on road in the winter. In the summer it has 30/32mm tyres and I have done 50 mile mainly off road rides on it with no problems. The only weakness is on the really rough stuff it is nowhere near as good as a mountain bike but smoother single track, gravel etc. it is fast and on road much faster than a mountain bike.

Tin Pot

Guru
Although I have a post here, I thought I might create a new one dedicated to it.

I've decided to go for a cyclocross over a road bike since I cannot give up not cycling on rough ground.

KneesUp mentioned the Croix de Fer, but what other bikes could I look at that cost below £1000? I would like disc brakes to make way for fatter tyres if I wanted, and a bike where I could ride 'fast' on roads.

Shop around for a Zydeco

DSC_1458-1024x680.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
Although I have a post here, I thought I might create a new one dedicated to it.

I've decided to go for a cyclocross over a road bike since I cannot give up not cycling on rough ground.

KneesUp mentioned the Croix de Fer, but what other bikes could I look at that cost below £1000? I would like disc brakes to make way for fatter tyres if I wanted, and a bike where I could ride 'fast' on roads.

I wouldn't say the Croix de Fer is a Cyclocross bike really - it's too useful for that. A lot of cyclocross bikes don't have bosses for mounting racks or mudguards or anything useful to - they are designed specifically to be used in Cyclocross races, by Cylocross racers. As I understand it you are not a racer, and do not intend to compete in races - therefore a Cyclocross bike like the Cinellii above (which looks lovely) isn't really designed to meet your needs.

The sort of bike I was recommending is what is now called a Gravel bike or an adventure bike - it's not quite a road bike (but it can do a half decent impression) and it's not quite a cyclocross bike, but you can use it for that, and nor is it a tourer, but it can do that too. They're the ideal bike if you want a bike that can do almost anything you could reasonably ask of it.

I wouldn't say the Croix de Fer is a Cyclocross bike really - it's too useful for that. A lot of cyclocross bikes don't have bosses for mounting racks or mudguards or anything useful to - they are designed specifically to be used in Cyclocross races, by Cylocross racers. As I understand it you are not a racer, and do not intend to compete in races - therefore a Cyclocross bike like the Cinellii above (which looks lovely) isn't really designed to meet your needs.

The sort of bike I was recommending is what is now called a Gravel bike or an adventure bike - it's not quite a road bike (but it can do a half decent impression) and it's not quite a cyclocross bike, but you can use it for that, and nor is it a tourer, but it can do that too. They're the ideal bike if you want a bike that can do almost anything you could reasonably ask of it.
I can't comment on the Croix de Fer specifically, but I second the rest of what @KneesUp says.

Suggest looking at the Surly Straggler too. I have the Cross Check -- bought it 7 years ago before the Straggler came out and before I rode any disc-braked bikes. Now, I'd go with the Straggler. My CC is my go-to bike for just about anything, including my current 25-mile round trip London commute, my Sustrans job a few years ago, the odd Friday Night Ride to the Coast, touring (both heavy and light). The frame is incredibly versatile and can be built up to just about any component combination / specification you want. I did swap out the fork for a Straggler fork a few years ago so at least I have discs on the front now. Highly recommend -- provided the size/proportions fit you and the ride suits you --- test rides essential.

OP
OP
F
I think I'll look at the main manufacturers what I've heard of :smile:

Now looking at the Cannondale CAADX 105 2017. I have plenty of time to decide but would like to narrow some bikes down til I deicde one one in June/July.

vickster

Legendary Member
Marin are a big American manufacturer :smile: Surly more an enthusiast's brand, well known for their tourers and utility type bikes

Why do you need to wait until summer?

OP
OP
F
Marin are a big American manufacturer :smile: Surly more an enthusiast's brand, well known for their tourers and utility type bikes

Why do you need to wait until summer?

Going to Scotland in a months time. Going to try and cycle more up there every day. If I can prove to myself that I can cycle more than 57 miles in 6 days, maybe it'll get me to cycle more at home. I've only been out on the bike 3 times this year because I just cannot get myself motivated to get out after work (finish at 2pm).

(I cycled 57 miles when I was up there in 2014).

OP
OP
F
I know there are lots of bikes out there but I quite like the look of Ribble bikes. Out of these three which one would you choose considering that I would be mostly riding on the road, with some off roading (canal paths, maybe forest, and the once/twice-a-year 'see pics').

First two are carbon, while the latter is aluminium and carbon fork, (and is cheaper at around £1200)

Ribble CX5
Ribble CR3 CX
Ribble CRG

34231616352_a43df92205_z.jpg Lily Lochs by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr
15627162520_16ebcfb47d_z.jpg Loch Caolisport by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

Top Bottom