New bike wanted: Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I meant I couldn't find any comparisons from other people/websites online. I think asking a dealer would be a mistake since they are trying to get you to sell any bike they can.
Not if you are asking for a comparison between the two. Can you go see them face-face, and try them? Aren't you keen to buy locally? (might have been someone else)

KneesUp

Guru
I meant I couldn't find any comparisons from other people/websites online. I think asking a dealer would be a mistake since they are trying to get you to sell any bike they can.
I was suggesting that you could compare them for yourself, without asking anyone.

OP
OP
F
Bearing in mind what cycling I would be doing - mostly road, some off road, and living on a hill, so downhill in any direction and I'll also be cycling in Scotland,
what gearing would be more appropriate from these options? I may have chosen the Ribble CX5.

Cassette
  • 11-28
  • 11-32
  • 12-25

Chainset
  • 172.5, 34/50
  • 170, 36/46
  • 172.5, 36/46
  • 175, 36/46

Or the CR3 CX that has the same cassette options and for the chainset, the last 3 options.

OP
OP
F
Trying to decide what tyres would suit my riding. Only looking for one set at the moment, so looking for some that will suit the road as well as off road. The Schwalbe as shown seem to fit the bill, but what do you think?

Also trying to decide between 172.5 34/50 and 172.5 36/46 chainset? Any ideas?

tyres.jpg

Also which seat pillar?
tyres1.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Trying to decide what tyres would suit my riding. Only looking for one set at the moment, so looking for some that will suit the road as well as off road. The Schwalbe as shown seem to fit the bill, but what do you think?

Also trying to decide between 172.5 34/50 and 172.5 36/46 chainset? Any ideas?

View attachment 352489

Also which seat pillar?
View attachment 352490
Seatpost, do you need set back? How confident are you of the sizing?

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think it matters much which seat post you have as long as it's the right size for the frame and length for you. I'd personally get a layback one, I think the look better aesthetically

OP
OP
F
Don't think it matters much which seat post you have as long as it's the right size for the frame and length for you. I'd personally get a layback one, I think the look better aesthetically

I might try a carbon one. I'll decide later when I'm ready to buy it. Not sure about the chainset though?

OP
OP
F
50/34 and 11-32 for me always. Need all the help possible on hills with my weight and knees!

Never seen point of a carbon seat post myself

I guess it'll keep the weight down a little?

Forgot to mention I received weight estimates from RibbleCycles

CR3 CX - Medium frame and 105 groupset 9.5kg
CX5 - Medium frame and Ultegra groupset 8.5kg

I'm going to opt for the CX5 since it'll be lighter.

I'll definately go for the 11-32.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess it'll keep the weight down a little?

Forgot to mention I received weight estimates from RibbleCycles

CR3 CX - Medium frame and 105 groupset 9.5kg
CX5 - Medium frame and Ultegra groupset 8.5kg

I'm going to opt for the CX5 since it'll be lighter.

I'll definately go for the 11-32.
A few grams doesn't make a lot of difference for me. A Kg worthwhile maybe

That said I'll go for a Ti post when I get a Ti bike but cos it'll look better. Black carbon and black Alu look the same

PlanB

I paid £1200 for a new CaadX Ultegra 3 years ago to use as a winter bike and take on holidays.
The Maddux rims are rubbish, the cable disc brakes woeful and the gearing all wrong after jumping off the racer.
But I liked the bike so recently threw a few hundred quid at it to get it up to scratch.

May I suggest taking a deep breath and doubling your budget to avoid upgrading at a later stage.

OP
OP
F
I paid £1200 for a new CaadX Ultegra 3 years ago to use as a winter bike and take on holidays.
The Maddux rims are rubbish, the cable disc brakes woeful and the gearing all wrong after jumping off the racer.
But I liked the bike so recently threw a few hundred quid at it to get it up to scratch.

May I suggest taking a deep breath and doubling your budget to avoid upgrading at a later stage.

That is your opinion on the Caadx and not on a bike made by Ribble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom