New bike wanted: Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F
A mate of mine found a cx bike on the halfrauds website and I told him that I'm not spending that on a bike, I prefer something that will last.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got a Boardman CX, no reason to think it won't last

If you want longevity, look at a brand that offers a lifetime frame warranty, Giant, Trek, Specialized. Ribble is only 6 years

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/warranty/

KneesUp

Guru
Of those Ribbles the CGR looks the best bet to me, but they're all a bit 'head down, arse up' in a way that suggests they're more about racing than riding for enjoyment. Which might be what you're after, to be fair.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@DavidS a cheaper bike, as long as you don't go too cheap, will last probably just as well as something more expensive. The only thing you might lose out on is ultimate functionality. If you're not sure of its continued use after your trip try and save a bit of money. You could even consider second hand. Apart from all these issues the main thing is to get something that fits you. A good bike shop can advise on that.

OP
OP
F
To be honest, I want a 'racing' road bike. Yes I do cycle the odd few miles or less a week. Yes I have cycled 57 miles in 6 days in Scotland a few years ago, yes I've done 20 miles now and then on the canal, but I am wanting to get my butt off my pc and get cycling more often each day. And like I said above, I would be cycling more on the road than any other terrain.

I think the Ribble CGR or the Ribble CX5 is worth the money for what I want.

blackcountrytone

ado mate just thought i would say,, i bought a Cannonade CAADX 105 and loving it ,my first CX bike ,so can't elaborate on other bikes, but this bike is light and fast,it's actually a joy to ride,and,so if it ain't to late go down to your LBS and see wot you could be missing,was advertised for £1200 but got it for £1050,probably the best thing i bought.

Attachments

• IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 72

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wish I could get someone's 'comparison' between the two bikes I'm interested in. Just can't find anything.
Know what you mean, its confusing. Basically carbon will be lighter than ali and some say stiffer. They'll likely have the same geometry so won't feel much different to ride. The shop will advise you so you can make an informed choice. Carbon will be used by all the top competitive racing teams. You don't need it but perhaps you just want it.

KneesUp

Guru
Wish I could get someone's 'comparison' between the two bikes I'm interested in. Just can't find anything.
Their main store is only an hour away by car from Keighly. If you're thinking of spending a grand or more, it's got to be worth a drive over?

OP
OP
F
Bearing in mind what cycling I would be doing - mostly road, some off road, and living on a hill, so downhill in any direction and I'll also be cycling in Scotland,
what gearing would be more appropriate from these options? I may have chosen the Ribble CX5.

Cassette
  • 11-28
  • 11-32
  • 12-25

Chainset
  • 172.5, 34/50
  • 170, 36/46
  • 172.5, 36/46
  • 175, 36/46

Top Bottom