New boiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
We've had both combi and traditional boilers and must say that we prefer the combi as it gives hot water on demand, no waiting for water to heat up and less potential for waste if you don't use it.
However just had a new Ideal boiler installed and not overly impressed, when it fires up it sounds like a 747 getting ready for take off. The old boiler which was at least 15 years old was much quieter and I think almost as efficient.

Mr Celine

Discordian
If you live in a big or poorly insulated house and never have a bath or want to run two showers at the same time then a combi might be a better choice but remember that if it does go on the blink you have no hot water.
If you live in a small or well insulated house and do want to run two showers or run a bath in a reasonable time then a hot water cylinder is a better choice.
The heating load on my house, an extended three bedroom bungalow in Scotland, is under 8KW calculated for an outside temperature of -4C. I have a 10KW boiler. To get a decent flow of hot water from a combi needs over 20KW. Installing a 20KW boiler in this house would be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Fiat 500.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I had a long chat with the man that services the boiler last month and he was saying that all these promises of efficiency are exaggerated and unreliability of new boilers are far more costly.

Basically, like fridges, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. new boilers are made to last a few years before needing expensive component replacement.

I watched a video on YouTube where they talk about the industry design fridges so you have to buy a new one every 10 years.

As long as I can get the parts for my appliances and boiler...I'm not changing any ;)

GilesM

Legendary Member
We have a Combi, it works really well, loads of hot water whenever you want it, and no space taken up by a water tank, I can't really understand why most people don't have them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We had a combi installed a few years ago. An annual service is the only cost to date. Yes, it takes a long time to fill the bath, which is probably only used 10-12 times a year, so this is irrelevant. Instant hot water to the shower, taps and kitchen. Personally I feel the benefits or disappointments will vary from property to property so get professional advice based on your house and not what you feel you need.

As for not lasting, built in obsolesence? Personally I think it's nonsense. I can't recall the last time we had to replace or a major repair on a household appliance. I did install a new door seal on our washing machine 3-4 years ago and installed a new pump on my son's second hand washer. Equally I replace the cassettes on my bikes from time to time.

Worcester Bosch is the brand I have.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Don't do it. I have one of those old ones (fitted pre 1986) and there ain't nothing wrong with it. 98% efficient said the tester man. The newer breed of boiler has a life expectancy much lower than 30+ years. You may get a rather slimmer looking thing but you'll be forever getting the engineer in.

Also there are plans afoot to use hydrogen instead of natural gas in the climate change mitigation process. That may mean another new boiler. I'm hoping I can get a retro fitted burner on my old boiler if that ever happens.
Indeed - do the maths carefully before committing. The newer go-faster ones post amazing stats, but do seem very fragile (based on our experience over 10 years).

D

Deleted member 26715

It's down to maintenance, when the combi's came out they had been designed in laboratory conditions where all the pipes & radiators where all brand new. Inside a combi boiler is a heat exchanger which has very thin channels, what they failed to realise or choose to ignore is that most people's systems are filled with iron filings that have come from inside the radiators. You must have the system washed through several times, have one of those magnetic traps fitted & run the system with chemical inhibitors. It also helps to empty the system every couple of years, to get the crap out of the system & refill with treated water again.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's down to maintenance, when the combi's came out they had been designed in laboratory conditions where all the pipes & radiators where all brand new. Inside a combi boiler is a heat exchanger which has very thin channels, what they failed to realise or choose to ignore is that most people's systems are filled with iron filings that have come from inside the radiators. You must have the system washed through several times, have one of those magnetic traps fitted & run the system with chemical inhibitors. It also helps to empty the system every couple of years, to get the crap out of the system & refill with treated water again.
Got all of that. Is serviced annually. Repair man said, of the part* that failed 'yes that's about their lifespan (c7years IIRC), and no, they're all the same because this is a generic part they all buy in, not make'

Oily boiler BTW.

*It'll come to me
I think it was the ejaculator. Sorry evaporator, or summat

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
we had a combi fitted in our last house it had various problems, the most annoying one being a dry joint on a circuit board which would cause it not to work intermittently, sorted with a dab of solder eventually.
Our present house we have lived in 19 years has a normal system, the boiler is about 21 years old, I like and understand the system, the only downside we found was the shower wasn't as powerful as the old house, I fixed this by fitting a power shower pump.
When this boiler eventually expires I think we will replace it with a normal one.

MarkF

Guru
I've just had our standard old boiler (30+ years) replaced with a Vaillant combi boiler, it's an old victorian property and it sits in the cellar a long way from either the kitchen or bathroom, so a lot of pipework & labour was needed. It took 4 days and I think the cost was about £3500.

The difference is incredible, the radiators are far hotter than they were before when the heating is on, the water pressuer is way better and there is a lag for hot water but we are talking maybe 5 seconds upstairs that's way offset by not having to use the immersion heater in summer to have any hot water. Oh and the old boiler cupboard has been panelled and shelved into a great storage space.

Got rid off the old clocks/timers and hallway thermostat too, now we have a little remote controller aout the size of a kindle that only MrsF has fathoned out how to use so far. :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a pfaff

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I take it you drive your cars or ride your bikes until they stop working, then leave them at the side of the road & buy new ones?
Well in the case of my boiler I don't need to do anything. Occasionally I check the flame is the correct colour and very very occasionally I ask a man to come and check. He brushes to soot from the burner and makes a measure of burn and declares all's well. So I'm afraid those combi boilers are a very major pfaff compared to my old very reliable boiler. But please carry on as I don't suppose you are able to source one now.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The difference is incredible, the radiators are far hotter than they were before when the heating is on, the water pressure is way better and there is a lag for hot water but we are talking maybe 5 seconds upstairs that's way offset by not having to use the immersion heater in summer to have any hot water. Oh and the old boiler cupboard has been panelled and shelved into a great storage space.
same here... I'm yet to panel out the old airing cupboard but I'm really looking forward to having the extra space... especially now I've taken the better heat and pressure for granted.

Top Bottom