New boiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Well in the case of my boiler I don't need to do anything. Occasionally I check the flame is the correct colour and very very occasionally I ask a man to come and check. He brushes to soot from the burner and makes a measure of burn and declares all's well. So I'm afraid those combi boilers are a very major pfaff compared to my old very reliable boiler. But please carry on as I don't suppose you are able to source one now.
Maybe but you could also set fire to some £20 notes whilst you're at it, a new boiler will pay for itself within a couple of years.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Maybe but you could also set fire to some £20 notes whilst you're at it, a new boiler will pay for itself within a couple of years.
Maybe - it seems possible but depends how much it's used. This winter has been so mild it's hardly been on chez 26. (Indeed I usually pay my energy supplier in the winter. Not this year as my burning has been so low the solar panels actually generated positive income over and above the fuel costs!) I'm perfectly happy with reliable with minimal people person input at the moment. ^_^ One day it will die. By then I hope the reliability of combis is equivalent but I fear it will not be as the "business model" for all these things is to replace after a time which the customer will (mostly) tolerate/grow used to. Indeed engineering in a "fail point" is quite clever from an engineering perspective but it's not very green IMHO.

Too be fair one should do all the numbers from first install to replacement to see how all this works out. I'm afraid I haven't and I suspect no one has. The manufacturer will tell you all the good stuff but ignore the less good and indeed to bigger picture.

Keep warm

D

Deleted member 26715

Understood, but I know how much my father spends on his heating in his small 2 bedroom semi bungalow & how much we spend on our 3 bedroom detached house, although he has the temperature far higher than we do.

I did hear on the radio the other day the Government is supposed to be banning gas fired heating on new builds within 5 years but I'm not sure what the replacement is supposed to be,

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
the temperature far higher than we do.
Yep - lots of folks do. I regard central heating as a "Take the edge off, background heating thing". Indeed I even turn the thermometer down during cold snaps as the place just gets too hot otherwise. Why heat the whole house to full temp anyway? We have a gas fire in the sitting room and that very rarely gets used either but does when we are forced to it. Two pullovers before any of that.

I think Hydrogen may be the next "Gas". I'm told to begin with it will be added to our current gas supply in some small volume. Worcester Bosch have been working on Hydrogen fuelled boilers I think. But if renewable electricity is cheap enough new builds may just be electrically heated.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hydrogen's a pig to work with though - storage at silly high pressure is required. Great to use, clean and all that, but new infrastructure militates against it, I think. Leccy is more likely, I think.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hydrogen's a pig to work with though - storage at silly high pressure is required. Great to use, clean and all that, but new infrastructure militates against it, I think. Leccy is more likely, I think.

Centrica and BG at least are a way on with hydrogen, I did hear they were soon going to be Introducing it Into existing gas infrastructure. Some manufacturers already produce hydrogen ready boilers and older boilers may only need some modification.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Centrica and BG at least are a way on with hydrogen, I did hear they were soon going to be Introducing it Into existing gas infrastructure. Some manufacturers already produce hydrogen ready boilers and older boilers may only need some modification.

Your post prompted me to have a look at the latest position - it seems like the current rule of thumb safe limit is c20% of hydrogen blended into the existing gas network, albeit there are tests going on to see if that can be increased. Interesting stuff.

Top Bottom