New car - any opinions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
We acquired a 17 C3 from a family member, its a poor drive experience, wanders around the road, tramlining, nothing wrong with brakes, no pulling. Clutch is so high before bite-commonly reported on forums. Noisy cabin, cheap audio sound, terrible visors on the sliding roof- which I like for open views. Goodness it is slow-ideal for learner :biggrin:

Its parked up mostly, start it and take it for tiny runs so its doesn't seize. I will teach youngest to drive in it- pass her test. Then it will be got rid. She will move straight to EVs thereafter.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Maybe you drive them to the cliff edge and I drive them off!!

I've had a an zx, xantia and a ax GT only the ax was any good!
Renaults - I've had a 19ts (total shed) and a renault master which did master my wallet!

Where as I had 4 pugs and all were good!

Whereas my 2 Pugs 405/406 were the most unreliable cars I ever had!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Fellow members,

It is time for a new car (and we like new ones irrespective of the depreciation :smile: ) It will probably be kept for 10+ years assuming we like it. In the past we have had a Peugeot 2008 and rather liked it, but daughter managed to convince us to swap it with her so we ended up with a Toyota Aygo which is a bit small. So, since we liked the 2008 we have been looking at small SUV types and have come up with the following short list
in order of cost :

SEAT Arona
VW T-Cross
Peugeot 2008
Toyota Yaris Cross

We like some bits of all cars, but not all bits of any car, so dear forumites, do you have any opinions, ideas, other options that could help us decide ?

Thanks
Andrew

Reviews that I've seen about the Yaris Cross suggest that it's seriously claustrophobic in the back. If you're in the ''cross'' market, the Honda Crosstar Jazz is far roomier all round. I've a straight Jazz - same size but slightly lower on the road - and have managed 70mpg over the last 10,000 miles or so. The Crosstar mpg will be slightly less.

DRM

Guru
without would be w/o

fwiw - I have a suspicion that turbos work harder & require more maintenance, whereas naturally aspirated engines, are more reliable, especially over time, as in, 200k miles ...

Not really, most important thing is count to 10 slowly whilst it ticks over before turning the engine off, allows the turbo to stop spinning before it's oil supply stops, i've had several Turbo Diesels, never had an issue, 200Tdi Discovery was at 196,000 when sold on, currently have Suzuki Swift Eco Boost 1.0 Litre 3 cyl petrol turbo, so far so good

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
VW T-Cross Black Edition not available (in blue) until November - so that is out :sad:
Peugeot 2008 - dealer tried to confuse us over the price, claiming a £1500 discount that wasn't real - so that is out

So the SEAT is current choice, or not bothering and going on a few expensive holidays instead :smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not really, most important thing is count to 10 slowly whilst it ticks over before turning the engine off, allows the turbo to stop spinning before it's oil supply stops, i've had several Turbo Diesels, never had an issue, 200Tdi Discovery was at 196,000 when sold on, currently have Suzuki Swift Eco Boost 1.0 Litre 3 cyl petrol turbo, so far so good

That's generally good advice and will do no harm, albeit on modern petrols and diesels not really necessary in normal use. If on track where much higher temperatures are reached, then yes, absolutely.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Second hand one?

Brand spanking new one is £23,013 - 2 years old is £19,990. It doesn't seem worth the saving, since you have lost 2 years warrantee and maybe 15-20K miles

good to know in case I wind up with one. they are getting harder & harder to avoid. too bad their gas mileage isn't as good
in particular, the Jeep Cherokee 2.4 compared to their 2.0 turbo

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Drove a Honda Jazz today, nice and smooth drive, comfortable, but when we asked about cost and ordering one were told that the order book is currently paused, and nothing can be ordered ! So, that is out :smile:

Suzuki Vitara is the next one to drive. Looked at it today and seemed pretty good. Test drive tomorrow with the Suzuki and also an MG ZS, which looked huge and dark in the showroom, but we shall see tomorrow.

Andrew

Top Bottom