New challenge 100 press ups!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Decided to try something extra on top of the cycling, my legs get a good workout riding fixed and playing football however my upper half could do with some toning. So have embarked on this http://hundredpushups.com/ thus far just on the first week but surprising how weak my arms are. When I was 16 i could do a hundred easy peasy when I was karate training!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was surprised at how much difference losing weight made, last time I was skinny. I went from being incapable of doing even a single press up, to being able to do 20 without any upper body training at all.

I think I'll have a go at this challenge, when my health improves. I could do with a stronger back and core when tackling steep hills because it is usually my back that gives up first on hard rides. Legs, heart and lungs are normally just about up to the job.

Trevrev

Veteran
Done that. Up to 130 now in one hit. Nice steady pace.
I now concentrate on raised leg, slow press-ups. They really hit the spot. Can only manage around 60 to 70 doing it this way though.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
cool did it make you feel stronger on the bike etc. Take it you started off not getting many done in one hit but have gotten stronger since?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Gun Dog.gif

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'll have a go proper when i've got over a hand op. I can do 40 on a 18" high coffee table without blowing a gasket- does that count? without this op i can't lay my hand flat.......

Trevrev

Veteran
cool did it make you feel stronger on the bike etc. Take it you started off not getting many done in one hit but have gotten stronger since?
It took me over a year of slogging away. Started off doing about 15.
I've got nice toned upper now, not sure if i'm any stronger. Hasn't helped me on the bike that i've noticed.
I did get a bit obsessed with them at one stage, doing 400 before i started work. ( in batches of 100!) I now do very slow press-ups to really work my upper body.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think ill do this too, I tried it a couple of years ago and improved quite quickly as I was also losing weight well at the time. I never got close to 100 in one go, more like 4 sets of 25, but still way better than struggling to do 10.

defy-one

I have been doing them for the last 3 weeks. Started off struggling to do 2 sets of 10. Now i can do 3 sets of 12.
Another exercise to strengthen your core strength is to hold the top of the press up for 1 min. In yoga and pilates it's know as "the plank".
Thanks to "that cc member" for telling me about it

sittingbull

Veteran
I think I'd struggle with 100 consecutively, but a while back set myself a target within 10 minutes and built up to 330 in batches of 50/60.

I use push up bars (which may make it easier) as my wrists don't like my hands being flat on the floor.

I do 20 pull-ups (palm forwards) each night which I prefer :smile:

Top Bottom