1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new clobber

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by jags, 18 Feb 2008.

1. jags

jags Über Member

hi all can anyone recommend a good pair of pant's for touring ,i always wear bibtight's but there not very practical when touring.what about something i could wear over cycling short's
    also what about a jacket ,one that's waterproof,light,breathable,and dosen't cost the earth thank's.

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I don't recommend going out in just your pants.

3. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

trousers/pants - how about any of the very light weight "activity" trousers e.g. Rohan, Regatta etc etc

4. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

'Pants' as in the American use of the word?

5. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Depending on the conditions, you could have bibshorts, with or without leggings, and a pair of 'weather' trousers, for cold, wet windy, weather.

6. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I like altura's stuff for cycling in - I have a pair of the Ascent shorts and they're excellent (well designed, pockets placed well for carrying stuff while cycling, both "cargo" pockets zip closed...). Sizing is on the large side though, so worth trying before you buy.

7. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

Or the north...

8. orbiter

orbiter Well-Known Member

For summer touring I like cheapish Millets (Peter Storm) shorts over padded lycra shorts, mostly for the pockets. I carry Rohan (very light) longs for cooler evenings if the weather. Both dry quickly after rain or washing. Last trip I tried a Montane jacket, which is very light and packs to the size of an orange, and Rainlegs , Both dealt very well with heavy rain and I'll be taking them on the next tour.

I've tried expensive 'cycling' outer shorts and found them no better than cheap ones.

That's my twopennorth in case it's useful.

Pete

9. jags

jags Über Member

thanks folk's ,maby i'll go for nice casual slack's

10. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Endura do cycling trousers which look quite reasonable, and some of them can fit a padded insert.

Gore also do some good looking trousers - Vantage I think - which convert into shorts.

11. jags

jags Über Member

i'll check them out dannyg thank's for that

12. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Bikesters

13. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

You could try Craghoppers over your shorts, if it not too warm.

14. sadjack

sadjack Senior Member

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Can normal lycra cycling shorts not be worn under other trousers if required then?