New cycle-route map for London...tube map stylee :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
https://londoncyclenetwork.files.wo...ycle-map-e28093-printed-map-design-v1-0-1.pdf

Full article link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...icles/new-tube-style-map-for-london-cyclists/

A cyclist's answer to the Tube map reveals London's hidden bike lanes
westminster_bridge-large.jpg

A new map shows people how easy it can be to get from A to B in the city - by bikeCREDIT: © PHILIP BAILEY / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO/PHILIP BAILEY / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO

22 FEBRUARY 2017 • 12:21PM

Acycling enthusiast is attempting to change the way the world views London’s bike lanes – and show people how easy it can be to get from A to B in the city.

Drawing inspiration from Harry Beck’s famous map of the London Underground, Dermot Hanney, under the guise of Route Plan Roll, has developed a Tube-style view of how cyclists can travel across the city.

cycle%20map-large.JPG

CREDIT: ROUTE PLAN ROLL
See a full-size version of the map here.

“The main thing when you’re looking at something like Google Maps is how much the main roads jump out at you,” Dermot Hanney told Telegraph Travel.

“But when you’re planning a bike ride, these traditional roads may not be the best routes for people to cycle on.

“I wanted to create map where the cycle routes stood out – trying to apply mapping simplification to cycling, rather than just road or rail. There’s been a lot of new infrastructure in the past few years, too, and I was trying to consolidate that.”

Henney, who lives in London and is a transport planner by trade but produces the maps in his own time, said that he wanted people to be able to see bike-friendly routes that might otherwise disappear among the traffic.

The different colours indicate the status of the roads – for example, a Cycle Superhighway, a local road or part of the Quietway network. Lines are then styled according to how much protection they offer cyclists. Parks and the cycle hire zone are also shown.

Blackfriars Bridge, a key cycling junction, where two Cycle Superhighways meet, is used as the map’s epicentre.

cycle%20superhighway%20GP9MR3-large.jpg

Henney wants to encourage more cyclists onto London's roads CREDIT: CREDIT: MARCIN ROGOZINSKI / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO/MARCIN ROGOZINSKI / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO
Henney has plans to record helmet-mounted GoPro videos of different cycling routes to show two-wheelers when and where to turn to stay on the safest roads.

The London Cycle Lane Map was produced last summer but is starting to garner interest, with Henney looking at developing more detailed maps focussing on different parts of London.

Henney’s is of course not the only map for cycling in the city.

Transport for London (TfL) has a point to point journey planner that calculates three different routes for each trip – easy, moderate and fast – with descriptions on the sorts of roads, traffic conditions and average speed.

National cycling charity, Sustrans, instrumental in developing Quietways routes, also has maps of the city. Nicholas Sanderson is its senior policy officer for London.

“This is a useful map because it shows the whole of London, so you get this overview of which places link up,” he said. “If you were in Marylebone and wanted to get to Blackfriars, you could see there is a decent cycle route.”

Sanderson said that generally cyclists should get an understanding of their basic route, then follow more detailed maps as well as a sat nav app on their phone.

“This is a nice addition to the more detailed maps. It also shows that there’s still a lot to do.”

cubey

Über Member
What superb work and credit to the guy who took the time to achieve this.:thumbsup:

spen666

Legendary Member
Great map...

...I only hope he's got permission from TfL as the Beck map style is subject to copyright and London Underground has been quite protective in the past (although they're normally fine if you ask).

Would be interesting to hear how TFL would be claiming it is a breach of their copyright! [ Not saying I disagree with your comments, I would just like to see TFL argue it in court]

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
...I only hope he's got permission from TfL as the Beck map style is subject to copyright and London Underground has been quite protective in the past (although they're normally fine if you ask).

I'm struggling to see any real resemblance to Harry Beck's map.

Which is no bad thing, as the two main features of the Beck map (lines only drawn vertically, horizontally and at 45°, distances distorted in the interest of clarity) are not really what you want when you're having to provide the motive power yourself instead of having somebody else doing the driving..

Tin Pot

Guru
Hmm, nice but I'm not sure how this would be useful to me. Particularly an unmarked "radial route", how am I going to find and follow that?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It looks nice but as soon as I look in detail at anywhere I actually know it's a bit wonky. For example, Denmark Hill and King's College Hospital are mysteriously far from Camberwell New Road. What? It's about two minutes, mostly freewheeling, down past the shops at Camberwell. Lambeth Bridge appears to be almost completely missing - it's a skinny grey line.

Maybe that's because there "CS" routes don't go that way, but to try to use this map to navigate from Denmark Hill to HPC would be just plain weird, and take you way out of your way.

A good idea for a project would be to download data from Strava (and/or other similar sites) and do a heatmap type thing of where people actually do ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Let's hope not, who wants mapping that is skewed towards the inclinations of Strava users?
There is that. :smile:

But its just one of a number of data sources. I'd have a bash at writing something myself if I had the time.

I wrote a program recently that pinpoints the locations where RideWithGPS users like to stop. Unsurprisingly it located cafes (duh) But I had fun writing it. A mapping project would be much more challenging.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It looks good and conveys the idea of a cycling network but its utility as a route planner is very limited. You'd never know, for example that from just west of Willow Walk on the Q1 there's an unmarked north-south almost traffic free road of about 300 yards which leads directly to the beginning of the New Kent Road, which is shown on the orange route SE of the Elephant and Castle. That 300 yards looks a long, long way on the scaled-to-style map and the map gives no impression that they are so conveniently linked.

I suppose one of the joys of cycling is learning how different places link up with each other. The map doesn't help with that. It might encourage some people to get out on a bike though....

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I've been wanting to get my daughter out on a bike (on the road) for years and recently I realised that I could now take her into London and use the cycle lanes. This is just what i need, so that you @Fab Foodie :okay:

Top Bottom