New cycling mag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I grabbed the 3 issues for a quid deal, so will give it a go for those.

Cyclist is my mag of choice. I doubt the new one will change that, but it's not trying to. At the end of the day it's totally different in its approach and content.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine arrived today. I'll be interested to see how much is aimed at female cyclists

vickster

Legendary Member
How are reviews for male cycling shorts, saddles etc unisex? Read a copy of cycling plus most months and there is nothing on wsd kit, bikes, activities etc

'Unisex' bikes take no stock of the fact that women are built differently in terms of leg to torso ratio, relative arm length, shoulder width and so on. As a 5'10 woman I don't want 42-44cm bars on my 54cm bike, nor a 120mm stem, and I don't want to have to pay extra for them to be swapped. I Don't really want to pay extra for a wsd saddle either

bpsmith

Veteran
How are reviews for male cycling shorts, saddles etc unisex? Read a copy of cycling plus most months and there is nothing on wsd kit, bikes, activities etc

'Unisex' bikes take no stock of the fact that women are built differently in terms of leg to torso ratio, relative arm length, shoulder width and so on. As a 5'10 woman I don't want 42-44cm bars on my 54cm bike, nor a 120mm stem, and I don't want to have to pay extra for the, to be swapped. I Don't really want to pay extra for a wsd saddle either

Fair enough. Was just being flippant. The shorts and saddle thing I agree on. The bike specific thing not so much. We're all different, so all potentially need to change those items. Just because we happen to be male doesn't mean it all magically fits us perfectly.

Read the article on the Bianchi Dama in Cyclist a couple of mags back for example. Bianchi don't make frames that are lady specific. They just fit different components. Kind of backs up your point, but also means any review on a bikes frame is equally valid to either sex.

As for activities, there is no difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
There can be, like the cycletta sportives and breeze rides :smile:

On the components sizing, I expect the manufacturers take an average based on the male cyclist population and do not consider women's proportions when designing a 'unisex' bike

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cyclists are either road or MTB = another boring cycling mag = alienates everyday cyclists.

What about everyday cyclist, the commuter and family cycling?

We need a mag for these cyclists and not just the occasional token article.
Everyday cyclists don't buy cycling magazines, anymore than everyday car drivers buy motoring magazines. Magazines are bought by enthusiasts.

I seem to be an enthusiastic cyclist, that's enthusiastic about cycle commuting and enthusiastic about taking my daughter cycling.
I know I'm an enthusiastic family cyclist as I have spent silly money on a quality Isla bike for her and she also has all the clothing to go with it. Not that the cycling mags helped with any of this.

I also try to take her away for a week or weekend camping and also incorporate cycling into these as well. Not that I got any advise from cycling mags.

You don't have to be a road racer or a MTBer to be a enthusiast.

vickster

Legendary Member
Womens cycling mag has some info on family cycling

Mine came yesterday and had a quick look last night(in-between watching Only Connect and Moto Gp and getting wine and sausage rolls down me)and liked it;the Ridley helium getting a good review has me looking even more at my bank account and seeing if I can afford one(answers no at the moment).

Christopher

Über Member
Hope it won't have helment-saved-my-life-everyone-must-wear-one drivel as the letter of the week like this week's Cycling Weekly. Won't be buying that mag again! Might even write to the publisher...

bpsmith

Veteran
Hope it won't have helment-saved-my-life-everyone-must-wear-one drivel as the letter of the week like this week's Cycling Weekly. Won't be buying that mag again! Might even write to the publisher...

There are no letters printed, as per Cyclist mag.

Top Bottom