New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
i also spin out on ss if i go fast, but that's good for the legs, especially if you can not coast. it's a limitation/feature you have to accept when riding one gear. do you still go up and down shooters hill on your commute?

p.s. i'll be taking my ss bike on a hilly audax this saturday, any joiners?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
i also spin out on ss if i go fast, but that's good for the legs, especially if you can not coast. it's a limitation/feature you have to accept when riding one gear. do you still go up and down shooters hill on your commute?

p.s. i'll be taking my ss bike on a hilly audax this saturday, any joiners?
No I now work in Croydon so Shooters Hill is no longer a necessity.

And why would anyone do a AAA on a SS??? Oh it's you Rimas. Good luck!! :thumbsup:

edindave

Über Member
2686641 said:
The key to riding fixed is relaxed. Just do it and enjoy it.

Yep.

Once I learned to relax my legs at times when I would normally freewheel on a geared bike, it all clicked into place for me.

JFDI ^_^ :thumbsup:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Off for my first fixie ride, couple of miles round to a mates house. :eek:

Couple of things I've noticed is a. what a faff it is to get the rear wheel on and off with the tensioners. I'm not looking forward to fixing a puncture on a dark country lane and b. the resistance against the pedals seems to have increased now it's fixed, is this normal? It's not rubbing on the brakes.

colly

Re member eR
[QUOTE 2688461, member: 30090"]Failing that unclip and go down the hill with legs outstretched, but just be careful not to hit any potholes...[/quote]

NO. NO. NO.
Downhill on fixed, if you feel it's too fast for your legs just break and slow down. Unclipping and taking your feet off the pedals is a recipe for disaster. IMO.
Think about how you are going to clip back in with the cranks going around at 100rmp plus if you want to know why.

Reactions: 4F

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep at it. I commute all the time on fixed in urban and city centres. Can't see the point of gears now in these situations. You will get used to it. Use your brakes as you would on geared. I do. Can't be bothered leg braking.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Keep at it. I commute all the time on fixed in urban and city centres. Can't see the point of gears now in these situations. You will get used to it. Use your brakes as you would on geared. I do. Can't be bothered leg braking.
It's not the stopping bit of stopping, it's the inability to coast. Just couldn't get it. I might give it another go in a bit but for now I think I'm best on a freewheel. I am enjoying the single speed aspect of it though.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Coasting. You shouldn't be doing that geared. Its lazy. You will get used to it. I guess you haven't ridden on the track
Yep been on a track. Didn't end well. Lost quite a bit of skin.

Fixed just seems very jerky when I'm doing anything other than accelerating

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think the bike looks ACE, I haven't ridden a fixie since I was ten, so can't comment on the riding, just looks like a lovely bike.

Top Bottom