New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still very concerned about my lack of hand/foot/eye co-ordination (otherwise known as cackhanded-ness) that means I stop pedalling as soon as I do something else like signal/turn/brake etc.
I had the same concerns initially, it'll come. Whether it helped or not I did quite a few laps of a local housing estate in the late evening (quiet period) to familarise my self with things.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
2683682 said:
One hesitates to ask
Nothing that bad. It's just that by nature a panic attack is irrational and so it's a case of mentally removing any possible cause not matter how stupid it may seem to another person at the time.

You'll be fine. Get some Cane Creek bar end levers as you'll always 'cover' yet be in the position to ride naturally...and have optimum steering control. Going back to the curved section on the bars is fine for a relaxing change of grip, but I never sod around near the stem. Double up the Hopes and get a cheap counter - that can occupy the space instead! You'll also learn how to adjust your pace without braking, to account for lights, or buses pulling away etc.
You'll need a rack and some 'guards of course (although the wet will have a task trying to reach your perching point I suppose!)
And, of course, remember - it's a journey, not a race!:smile: (Friday was always my 'gentle' ride out of town, but it is creeping into other days now - could be age, could be enjoyment!:rolleyes:)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
You'll be fine. Get some Cane Creek bar end levers as you'll always 'cover' yet be in the position to ride naturally...and have optimum steering control. Going back to the curved section on the bars is fine for a relaxing change of grip, but I never sod around near the stem. Double up the Hopes and get a cheap counter - that can occupy the space instead! You'll also learn how to adjust your pace without braking, to account for lights, or buses pulling away etc.
You'll need a rack and some 'guards of course (although the wet will have a task trying to reach your perching point I suppose!)
And, of course, remember - it's a journey, not a race!:smile: (Friday was always my 'gentle' ride out of town, but it is creeping into other days now - could be age, could be enjoyment!:rolleyes:)
My Hope doesn't fit the bars as the diameter is a lot less than on the road bikes. I've moved one front light over by packing it out with old inner tube.

Don't get me started on guards. The ones I bought from Mango are missing bits and I can't figure out how to fit them. Rack is already fitted. And I've got a mounting kit ordered for my old counter.

I thought the Hope V1 had little rubber inserts to 'change diameter' of the clamp. Inner tube is cool. I also have a double layer of cork bar tape, which helps a commute. The tape stops just after the curve, leaving a bare bit of metal to mount stuff upon etc.. (And because my last 'off' buggered up the bar tape two days after fitting it, and I was too tight to go and buy it all again!)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
And today? OK? :smile:
Still on freewheel but I've lowered the saddle a little bit more and it all seems ok now.

So now I can concentrate on my issues with fixed. What happens if something happens in front of me eg ped steps out. My fear is that I'll either concentrate on not pedalling and therefore won't pull the brakes or I'll concentrate on braking and forget to pedal. :sad:

Also I seem to spin out at about 25mph and even when I get to 25 I need to have a break from pedalling. However if I'm fixed I can't do that. Any advice?

I'm still going to have a practice at fixed at the weekend though.

If you were fixed and had to slam everything on at speed, it's surprising how you can manage a skid or two! Legs 'auto-lock' and the survival instinct kicks-in. You get to watch everything a teensy bit more carefully - to see how people are tracking across pavements perhaps...the hesitancy or erratic behaviour of cars...all the while working out 'stop' points, leaving your stronger leg in the 'ready to push off' position - it becomes a habit, as does the lift and adjust. Soon you'll be 'doing a Gaz' and getting into the swing of things, no problem.
25mph is excessive for me - I do it at points during the ride, but couldn't be bothered trying to hit that speed all along the way and am content to cruise along at 18-19 - sometimes less up the slopes or if it's a nice day, and for sure in between lines of traffic...the odd commuter racing business notwithstanding.
Your break from pedalling will be pedalling at different cadence - it's lovely! Give it a couple of weeks, jump on Lelly and try to freewheel...not! :smile:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well I'll go for a couple of spins round the block on Saturday and see what happens then if it's ok (I don't fall off) I'll try commuting on Monday.

ayceejay

Guru
I agree with fossyant but if the thought of riding fixed is causing panic attacks why not stick with the freewheel it hardly seems worth the trauma.
If you do decide to stick with it you will find that after a while you will be able to control your speed instinctively and the positive feel will enable you to avoid mishaps, your fear of falling off is irrational.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I agree with fossyant but if the thought of riding fixed is causing panic attacks why not stick with the freewheel it hardly seems worth the trauma.
If you do decide to stick with it you will find that after a while you will be able to control your speed instinctively and the positive feel will enable you to avoid mishaps, your fear of falling off is irrational.
I feel I may be missing out on something. Whether or not that something is worth the angst only time will tell.

To be honest, it's not falling off too much (although that hurts), it's a lot of my commute is down the centre line of dual carriageway and I feel a saddle up the jacksie in such a close environment could lead to a civil action to pay for someone's paint job.

Top Bottom