New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok with a more normal saddle height

4usabasu.jpg

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
...Although, I would also say that I'd rather have the seat post at the height which I was most comfortable with, than care too much what anyone else thought it looked like!
I agree but this is the first seat post I've ever bought where minimum insertion point makes it too long for me

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
2682842 said:
Ease off the wheel bolts just enough that the axle can move. Adjust those bolts to get the chain nicely tensioned and the wheel straight. Tighten up the wheel bolts. Carry both spanners with you in case you need to fix a flat.
I assume I have to take the little bolts off completely to fix a puncture?

ayceejay

Guru
I assume I have to take the little bolts off completely to fix a puncture?
Those chain tensioners are attached to the axle not the frame so when the wheel comes out so do they. Incidentally they are only there to make tensioning the chain and centering the wheel easier only the wheel nuts hold the wheel in place. Pedro do a nice little tool that is a 15mm spanner at one end and a tyre lever at the other.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok first confession time. Following a middle of the night panic attack, I got up at 2.30 am to switch it over to S/S. My head was telling me that the last time I was on a fixed it didn't end well and that "not ending well" in the close confines of the A205 South Circular wouldn't be good for me. I'll practice fixie at the weekend.

Pros:

It's hard work which isn't a bad thing. It's a much better workout than using gears. I imagine that'll get even better once it's a fixie again.
I didn't lose too much speed over the commute. I finished with a time that wouldn't embarrass Lelly.
It just feels so much better not bothering about gears. I'm not sure I could ride LEL on it but then that's what Lelly is for.

Cons

I miss my mirror. But then again the concensus on here is that you shouldn't really use mirrors anyway.
My hand position is weird. They are mainly on the flats as that's where the brakes are and I commute in fairly heavy traffic. I'll either get used to it or I'll get some bar end levers.
I'm still paranoid about the tyres as I don't think the tubes I currently have will fit. New tubes ordered plus I think I'll put Duranos on at the weekend.
The wheels don't feel the best but then a. After Cyclescheme, the whole bike has cost me less than Lelly's wheels b. it's only for commuting on rather than long distance stuff so it'll be ok.
Edit: Oh and my GPS still looks silly.

All in all I feel the cons are mainly superficial or stuff I'll get used to/can fix. I think it's going to be a pretty good commuting bike.

Last edited:
Very nice and you certainly wont be stuck for places to mount a rear light (or maybe 5) :thumbsup:

I admit I was scared to go Fixie at first, until my SS hub failed and I had no choice, never regretted it. I ride on the flats a lot too but once you convert to fix it feels more natural (being more in control of speed via your legs).

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Got up at 2.30am :ohmy:
What did Mrs Martin have to say about that then? :laugh:
Less than amused but I've been suffering panic attacks for a few years. They aren't as debilitating as they used to be (although I'm still surprised I got on a bike at all this morning) but she understands what's involved and what I have to do to mitigate them.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Very nice and you certainly wont be stuck for places to mount a rear light (or maybe 5) :thumbsup:

I admit I was scared to go Fixie at first, until my SS hub failed and I had no choice, never regretted it. I ride on the flats a lot too but once you convert to fix it feels more natural (being more in control of speed via your legs).
I'm still very concerned about my lack of hand/foot/eye co-ordination (otherwise known as cackhanded-ness) that means I stop pedalling as soon as I do something else like signal/turn/brake etc.

Top Bottom