New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Definitely getting better today. One heart in mouth moment as I was stopping and my drive side leg naturally kept going with the wheel when I wasn't expecting it to. Things to work on today, pedalling into corners rather than trying to coast and one legged pedalling so that starting off isn't such a nightmare.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As to 'coasting' I do think one can 'coast' on a descent by just letting the legs go flibberly-mibberly.

And descending at speed (165-175rpm) is completely impossible for me if I push even a tiny, weeny bit. At those speeds on a big descent, if I push at all it hold my speed down. the only way I can get up to 35mph on a big descent is by 'letting go' of my legs and letting the pedals move my feet. Other fixed riders of a respectable age will recognise this infirmity.
Odd. But each to their own I guess. The only way I can let my fixed fully have it's head on descents is to drive my legs, engage the muscles I wouldn't engage if coasting and spin. Deliberately and consciously up to around 180+rpm. Relaxing them and letting them be dragged around by the pedals just makes it feel like my legs will get ripped off and thrown over the hedgerow. I think I'm of a respectable age but I've yet to meet flibberly-mibberly on a fixed above a fast jogging speed.

Err. So your actually engaging muscles to lock these ankles then and therefore not coasting with relaxed legs....?

Well... It works. I keep my ankles rigid and just let my legs go flibberly-mibberly. I get up to about 165-170rpm that way. I've never exceeded that and doubt I ever will.

If I push on the pedals and try to ride as fast as I can, I can't exceed 145-150rpm.

I think I might just not be a very brilliant rider, but the only was I can get to 150+ rpm or 35+mph on a fixed-gear is by locking the ankles and letting the legs go.

Those who do the same will recognise the sensation. If you can push at 180rpm, then I live in an entirely lower league. And belong there.

I do not for a moment say that it's impossible, just that I can't do it.

colly

Re member eR
Going fast down hill I just relax when it's getting too fast for me to pedal as well. Maybe I lock my ankles too...........I've never thought about it tbh.
Now tonight when I go out I'll be all over the place thinking about what I'm doing instead of just doing it.
Mind you I run quite a low gear seeing as it's hilly round here and my maximum speed even down hill isn't much to shout home about because my legs, relaxed or not, will only go just so fast.

Edit: RPM from MPH, what's the formula ?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
What that is telling me is you need a freewheel singlespeed. It's the way forward! Dare to be unfashionable.
LOL. Flip-flop hub is the way to go. I don't feel confident enough to commute fixed yet. I'd damage something. So it's back to freewheel and keep practising fixed at weekends.

zigzag

Veteran
p.s. i'll be taking my ss bike on a hilly audax this saturday, any joiners?

the ride went well, i was the first one back, another guy on fixed came few minutes later, then a geared rider more than an hour later. which proves the point, that one gear is the way to go!:thumbsup:
what i noticed though, that riders who like riding fixed, try very hard to "sell" their preference to "uninitiated" . i wonder why?:rolleyes: after riding fixed for few months i found that cons outweighed pros, so gone back to ss - there you go.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
the ride went well, i was the first one back, another guy on fixed came few minutes later, then a geared rider more than an hour later. which proves the point, that one gear is the way to go!:thumbsup:
what i noticed though, that riders who like riding fixed, try very hard to "sell" their preference to "uninitiated" . i wonder why?:rolleyes: after riding fixed for few months i found that cons outweighed pros, so gone back to ss - there you go.
Have you ever actually struggled on a ride?? :wacko:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I did the wiggle 100 in the New Forest yesterday and I rode along with two blokes who were on fixies, well 'ard they were, blatting up the hills quicker than me. I might get one next year.

Fixed is fine if you want to build up your slowing down muscles. :biggrin:

I had a little chat with God (the proper one, not the fat guy or the one with lots of arms) and he says you're wrong.

He implied (but wasn't explicit) that writing things like that is likely to get you sent to Hell.

Carry on.

Top Bottom