New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I had a little chat with God (the proper one, not the fat guy or the one with lots of arms) and he says you're wrong.

He implied (but wasn't explicit) that writing things like that is likely to get you sent to Hell.

Carry on.
I don't remember having that conversation with you.

I don't remember having that conversation with you.

Frankly, you're not as young as you were. I'm surprised you remember anything.

We were having dinner over at Silvio Berlusconi's and you were doing that trick snorting the coke out of the hooker's navel and then turning water into wine (again!).

You told that one about what you got up to on the seventh day, after the planet was pretty much built and ready fo the electrics to be finished.

I think it was a Tuesday.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
RPM from MPH, what's the formula ?

I can never be bothered to sit down with a piece of paper and work it out, at least not when there's so many online calculators.

1. Plug your tyre size into this webpage
2. Delete the default double chainring and multiple rear sprockets
3. Enter your fixed setup into the 'front' and 'rear' boxes
4. Click the 'do the math(s)' button
5. Click the 'cadence' tab

colly

Re member eR
Hi Colly :hello: I've been busy rebuilding an old bike so that I've got something with more than one gear and a freewheel for long rides

Are you fixed-wheel only at the moment?

PM me if you're up for a ride :thumbsup:
Yes fixed at the moment. The bike with the gears was stripped down a while ago ready for a paint and a re-build. It's still a half finished project. Been like that for 18 months or more.:sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

Fixed is fine if you want to build up your slowing down muscles. :biggrin:

I've been on fixed for years and its done nothing for my slowing down muscles, I'm still crap at leg braking, but I'm kinda addicted to that big cheesy grin that breaks out on my face about 2 minutes into a fixed ride.^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Just get some steady miles in, and don't over think it.

My initial problem was the RPM on descents. Got round it after a couple of weeks. In this case I found that locking my ankles out helped the high cadence. Trying to pedal at 150 rpm doesn't work.

When I first came back to fixed, about 6 years ago, I found I had an odd spot in the mid 20's where my cadence was choppy and I wasn't happy, above and below that I was as smooth as I was when I was riding fixed in the late 1980's, I never quite figured out why but found the answer was to think and make an effort to drive the pedals round, these days I rarely think about what the legs are doing. My problem with high cadence comes with very cold temperatures, zero and below, when my right calf can cramp up and go into spasm, not nice over 150rpm.

When I first came back to fixed, about 6 years ago, I found I had an odd spot in the mid 20's where my cadence was choppy and I wasn't happy, above and below that I was as smooth as I was when I was riding fixed in the late 1980's, I never quite figured out why but found the answer was to think and make an effort to drive the pedals round, these days I rarely think about what the legs are doing. My problem with high cadence comes with very cold temperatures, zero and below, when my right calf can cramp up and go into spasm, not nice over 150rpm.

Cramp is one of my fixed-gear fears. I've had terrible cramps in my calf riding with a freewheel and have had to stop.

I usually get a couple of pre-cramp twinges that give me a clue to the coming agonies... I haven't cramped on fixed yet, but I hope that when it comes I'm just pottering.

I recognise absolutely that 'rough patch' in the cadence. I'm not sure it's always at the same speed for me, but it comes in and then goes again, as if I can accelerate through it. I go from feeling like Greg Lemond to feeling like a drunk marionette and then back to Lemond with no clear understanding of what the issue was.

D

Deleted member 1258

Cramp is one of my fixed-gear fears. I've had terrible cramps in my calf riding with a freewheel and have had to stop.

I usually get a couple of pre-cramp twinges that give me a clue to the coming agonies... I haven't cramped on fixed yet, but I hope that when it comes I'm just pottering.

I recognise absolutely that 'rough patch' in the cadence. I'm not sure it's always at the same speed for me, but it comes in and then goes again, as if I can accelerate through it. I go from feeling like Greg Lemond to feeling like a drunk marionette and then back to Lemond with no clear understanding of what the issue was.

I don't always get a warning, the solution is to stretch the calf once I've stopped, once I've done that I'm OK for the rest of the ride, if I get a warning, sometimes I can feel the calf tightening, I find if I drop the heel lower than normal at the bottom of the stroke I can stretch the calf a bit and it can prevent the cramp. I suspect the cramping might be circulation related and it might be an age thing, I'm 62 in a couple of months.

Top Bottom