New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't see the risk. It's stationary traffic that really isn't going anywhere so filtering down it at 5mph (if that) is relatively safe so long as you're not on a fixie.
The risk is there fixed or free, your in a narrow channel with very few options if it goes tits up, the risk comes from car passengers opening doors to get out, the risk comes from pedestrians walking between the cars, the risk comes from cars turning right through gaps in the stationary cars, or using gaps to pull out of side roads or drives. if you read my post, number 163, I got taken out by a car using a gap in the stationary traffic to turn right, I was carrying a little to much speed and had no room to manoeuvre I could only hit the brakes and try and turn into the drive he was turning into. I never made the turn, I slid into him sideways and head butted his bonnet.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
The risk is there fixed or free, your in a narrow channel with very few options if it goes tits up, the risk comes from car passengers opening doors to get out, the risk comes from pedestrians walking between the cars, the risk comes from cars turning right through gaps in the stationary cars, or using gaps to pull out of side roads or drives. if you read my post, number 163, I got taken out by a car using a gap in the stationary traffic to turn right, I was carrying a little to much speed and had no room to manoeuvre I could only hit the brakes and try and turn into the drive he was turning into. I never made the turn, I slid into him sideways and head butted his bonnet.
Those risks are always there and are just part of risk management wherever you are on the road. To date, no one (despite the fact that I'm watching carefully for when someone does) has got out of the passenger side of car on this stretch of road. There's only one t-junction (from the left) and cars can't pull out cos it's nose to tail. This is, seriously, non moving traffic. You can see 200 yards in front (slight rise) and see when the temp lights have changed.

D

Deleted member 1258

Those risks are always there and are just part of risk management wherever you are on the road. To date, no one (despite the fact that I'm watching carefully for when someone does) has got out of the passenger side of car on this stretch of road. There's only one t-junction (from the left) and cars can't pull out cos it's nose to tail. This is, seriously, non moving traffic. You can see 200 yards in front (slight rise) and see when the temp lights have changed.

Thats right fixed or free those risks are there, I manage those risks by staying out of that narrow channel.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
2744038 said:
I think the bottom line here is that, if you are not going to commute fixed any time soon, you should do the decent thing and change the thread title.
But.... But... It's a fixie at weekends

LordMarv

I hope you don't mind, but I want to ask you about the Mango bike, we don't have them available over here in the States. Are they pretty sturdy, do you like the build quality? I inquired but there is shipping and duties for me...and I'm not sure a bike carton wouldn't get all dented up coming all this way (I"m in northwestern US). What do you think about Charge bikes, the ss/fixed versions? Thanks

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I hope you don't mind, but I want to ask you about the Mango bike, we don't have them available over here in the States. Are they pretty sturdy, do you like the build quality? I inquired but there is shipping and duties for me...and I'm not sure a bike carton wouldn't get all dented up coming all this way (I"m in northwestern US). What do you think about Charge bikes, the ss/fixed versions? Thanks
I like it. It feels reasonably sturdy. If you're asking whether it would survive the journey, yes it would. On the road, you have to remember that it's a £300 bike though so don't expect miracles. I've already trashed the freewheel through incompetence. I will be upgrading all the bits on the bike as I go along though.

I've never had a Charge but my understanding is that they are probably a step up from a Mango.

oldstrath

Über Member
Friend of mine has a Charge Plug, drop bar version, and likes it. Probably does about 150-200 miles a week on it. It's a bit heavier than my home brew, but seems a competent bike, and I do like the saddle.

Top Bottom