New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Should have said you were minus bike Martin, you could have borrowed one of mine (though you might need to raise the saddle a little) :giggle:

arbocop

Just caught up with this thread, it's a good read. The biggest issues for me when starting fixed was getting on and off. the next thing was cornering, and I messed up a couple of corners - clouting the floor with the pedal - but then I got used to how far to lean.

I've evolved my riding since then and had four fixed. I now have the KHS Flite 100 which I ride every day around 10-15 miles but sometimes more. I am currently trying to work my way up to a 100, but I might do it freewheel rather than fixed as the one I am planning has hills, but it depends how well the training goes - and how well my dodgy knee holds up. Incidentally, I recently went with a shorter crank which seems to have cured my knee problem, certainly for the last 3 months.

I agree with the majority of comments about cadence and relaxing. Once you have tried it you will be fine, but I do recommend a few quieter roads before you go too mad in heavy traffic. However, traffic is what it's made for cycling slowly, then a hard powerful burst followed by slow again. Just like the track!

Mike

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Currently stranded up north without a bike

Painful as this condition may be, it's an opportunity to meditate on the direction of your life. It's good that you've tried fixed; it will give you a greater appreciation for free.

- Freewheeling is more relaxing. I've been known to fall asleep on nonfixed SS, rousing myself for the occasional turn or cakestop.

- It offers the ultimate simplicity. Pedalling requires complicated actions involving your musculature. Coasting, which you can do much of the time if you frequent geographically sensible areas and indefinitely if you live in an Escher drawing, is as close to a state of zen as mere mortals are permitted to experience.

eschercyclist.jpg

- Can make you more fit, if such an outcome is preferred. Think about it. If you want to go anywhere 3D, you have to make yourself pedal. With fixed, the bike pedals for you.

- No need to worry so much about planning ahead. This is very appealing to those of us who take a just-in-the-nick-of-time approach to life.

- Makes you a better cyclist. There's a mountain of supporting evidence for this, but unfortunately I've misplaced it.

We were having dinner over at Silvio Berlusconi's and you were doing that trick snorting the coke out of the hooker's navel and then turning water into wine (again!).

I remember that night! We were having grass-fed Beef Wellington, high as a kite all of us, and you (God) thoughtfully supplied a nice Bordeaux and joked about how you used to have a thing for Agnetha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
At the moment I'm commuting on the freewheel. At weekends I try out fixed for a bit but there's just too much going on during my commute for me to be fixed. An example being filtering right up against the kerb at some points where there's queueing traffic for temp roadworks (thanks to whoever owns the roads near Norwood!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2734349 said:
Sorry but until you are prepared to foreswear the evil that is gears you are not worthy to lecture Long Martin.

What ever.... We have hills up here, and I use only the finest hand crafted Italian and British steel for the real hills. The geared stuff forms about 5% of my cycling. Fixed 95% road weapon ! Gears aren't evil - single speed is !

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
So how do I filter next to a kerb on a fixie then??

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I don't get it. If enough space to pass isn't on the left of the vehicle then it must be on the right? ;)
Nope can squeeze down the left if my pedals aren't turning. Road is narrow with buses each way. Going down the centre is possible but frequently have to cut back to the left hand side. I admit I could be patient but I reckon it would add 10 mins to the journey

edindave

Über Member
Fair enough. To be honest, this time of year - dark, wet commutes, maybe isn't the best time to be getting used to fixed. I had this issue last year, and went freewheel until the spring. Since then I've been fixed all the way. Just my experience!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Fair enough. To be honest, this time of year - dark, wet commutes, maybe isn't the best time to be getting used to fixed. I had this issue last year, and went freewheel until the spring. Since then I've been fixed all the way. Just my experience!
I've not given up. It's just that certainly at the moment I can see it being difficult (dangerous) on my commute. Maybe once the roadworks have gone...

Top Bottom