New for 2021?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As a student I memorized the first 20 chemical elements. (didn't take long, I'm not very diligent!)

Can anyone suggest a similar - hopefully useful*-ish - challenge?

(*I don't use this knowledge much, but it's great for a few "free" points on University Challenge :smile: )
I had to know the whole table at one time, many years ago. Of course there were fewer known elements back then. I can get to about 20 now still.

How about working on pi? I can get to 16 decimal places from memory - it used to be around 10 but I introduced my kids to pi recently which has fostered something of a competition between us and they have pushed me further.

clid61

Veteran
Blimey - that's a biggie! But at least it would have its uses ....
I'll put it on the Possibles list, thanks :smile:
Who said that
Anybody going to take-up anything new in 2021?

I’m taking-up birdwatching, not twitching, but just a bit of a birder. It’s been latent over the last couple years, but now I’m going to get a little more passionate and learned.

We have an observatory 5 miles lovely cycle away where approx 75 species are recorded, plus marshes and a variety of coastlines where we walk the dogs. Now I’m packing my binoculars as well as poo-bags.

Saw Turnstones walking along the beach today, so that’s a new observation for me :-)

What about you lot?
Considering a metal detector when I move permanently to the Western Lake district for use on beach and surrounding fields

clid61

Veteran
Do you already have the camouflage clothing ? ^_^
Hi Viz jacket and camoflage pants , cant make my mind up . Flask and Tuppaware sorted though :smile:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes and no , always interested it and I love being outside .
And therein a nail is hit on the head.
I think many of us here are cyclists simply because we love the outdoors and a bicycle is a fine way to experience our surroundings.
In my surfing days we used to say 'a bad day on the water was always better than a good day in the office'. We are fortunate that we live in an amazing can diverse country in terms of landscape, flora & fauna with a rich retained physical history. There are so many excuses to be out, detectoring, bird-watching, rambling, dry-stone walling whatever. Also with these things comes a fraternity of like-minded souls, you can participate solo or a socially.
Covid has clearly introduced many-more people to 'the great outdoors', all we need to do is make sure it doesn't get abused.*

*Sadly over the last 12 months there has been much evidence of this....

clid61

Veteran
And therein a nail is hit on the head.
I think many of us here are cyclists simply because we love the outdoors and a bicycle is a fine way to experience our surroundings.
In my surfing days we used to say 'a bad day on the water was always better than a good day in the office'. We are fortunate that we live in an amazing can diverse country in terms of landscape, flora & fauna with a rich retained physical history. There are so many excuses to be out, detectoring, bird-watching, rambling, dry-stone walling whatever. Also with these things comes a fraternity of like-minded souls, you can participate solo or a socially.
Covid has clearly introduced many-more people to 'the great outdoors', all we need to do is make sure it doesn't get abused.*

*Sadly over the last 12 months there has been much evidence of this....
Agree I've been uphill and downdale , gardening ,fishing, hiking, canal boating , obviously cycling and even putting the bins out :smile: its all outdoors .

I foolishy agreed to run a 13-km jaunt in Copenhagen in October. I HATE running (no problem in a sport such as rugby or cricket, but just running.... :headshake::cursing:), you never see a jogger smiling, and I certainly won’t be. So I have to train for it - by running, FFS.:thumbsdown:.

I’ll supplement my training with skipping, as in boxing training, not as in being forced to skip-with-your-older-sister-and-her-friends-in-the-back-garden skipping when just a lad!).
Can’t wait! :wacko:

Old jon

Guru
I’ll supplement my training with skipping, as in boxing training, not as in being forced to skip-with-your-older-sister-and-her-friends-in-the-back-garden skipping when just a lad!).
Can’t wait! :wacko:

My 2021 new thing is skipping songs, or tunes. Attempting a collection to add to the three or seven I have scores for. Just the words would be brilliant! Before the year end, they will be posted online, with tunes. And a link on here.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
We took delivery of our motorhome the weekend before lockdown started back in March 2020.
It's been in storage almost solidly ever since.

Hopefully at some point this summer we will get to do some minor touring within England.
Summer 2022, I'm banking on doing 90 days in Europe.

Top Bottom