New for 2021?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
We had egrets on a pond near Cresswell Beach on a recent Cycling NE ride.
How many?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We've got a bird bath in the back garden and it attracts a lot of rarer species... nuthatches, dunnocks, wrens, fieldfares, finches and every tit going- they bring their own soap, and love Mrs A_T's fat balls.
We don't see the crowd of starlings that used to crash in like a rowdy bunch of hooligans anymore- not even one, and house sparrows have all but disappeared too, though magpies, collared doves, pigeons, thrushes, blackbirds and robins are thriving, and we have a large family of jackdaws that clear everything in their path. The rarest to visit was a red- breasted merganser, but sadly that was a corpse near the stream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have been inspired by @potsy and like you Fabbers have taken up bird watching. I’ve got my binocs and may even get a spotter. We’ve got Port Meadow - red wings, kingfishers, gold finches, wrens, kites and many more
It's joyous isn't it? And it's on your doorstep. If you watched Countryfile on Sunday the first article about Lizards and the Blue-tit in the cig box ARE our doorstep, Simon Taylor Jones lives on the seafront here and most of his reports are always from just down the road.
I like the different perspective it gives to familiar surroundings.

Rocky

Hello decadence
It's joyous isn't it? And it's on your doorstep. If you watched Countryfile on Sunday the first article about Lizards and the Blue-tit in the cig box ARE our doorstep, Simon Taylor Jones lives on the seafront here and most of his reports are always from just down the road.
I like the different perspective it gives to familiar surroundings.
And it makes life less stressful - the time goes slower. It also stops me thinking about me....there’s a beautiful world out there.

I’ll have a look at Countryfile on catch-up. Thanks

I can't do Waiting hobbies. I love nature - being in it, looking at it - but twitching and fishing, my brain doesn't do patience with an uncertain outcome. I really enjoyed the "action" of fishing with my Dad! But couldn't face the waiting. Daft hobby...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
And it makes life less stressful - the time goes slower. It also stops me thinking about me....there’s a beautiful world out there.

I’ll have a look at Countryfile on catch-up. Thanks
I joined 'Kent Birding' on fb (assume there are similar pages for other parts of the country), it's been a great source of information and learning. Some of the photography is outstanding.

Dawn Works here: https://sbbot.org.uk/
When the Virus abates you'll have to come visit :-)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm determined to start watercolour painting again, packed my brushes away in 1992 but now I have more time... [ha-ha!]

We had egrets on a pond near Cresswell Beach on a recent Cycling NE ride. Still waiting to see a kingfisher properly in the wild... only caught the briefest of blue flashes up to now.

Not a bird watcher as such, but, we do enjoy walking and cycling in the countryside, inevitably, you do see birds. We have been to some idyllic spots, in various parts of UK, where, it might be expected, a kingfisher might be seen, but, no, the only one I have ever seen, "in the flesh", was perched on a tree, alongside the River Don, in Jarrow, a not very idyllic location!, but, presumably, there where fish to be had ;)

Top Bottom