New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I don't have any plans to go back to what we had, but am open to suggestions if people want to send me a PM. There may be some things I haven't considered or options that may work well for the benefit of everyone on CC.
It's slightly difficult making constructive suggestions when we don't really know enough about what the problem was. This massive volume of posts reported to the mods. How much of it was about the views expressed and how much the style of the post? And how much was deemed valid and acted on, how much a fair comment but not meeting the threshold for intervention, and how much just vexatious?

Maybe I a missing something, but sexism already seems to be allowed to stay. It's responding to sexism that seems to invoke moderation, not the original remark, which is of course just "bantz".
I don't mind trying to answer that. Again it's sometimes a difference of opinion. I hope, as moderators, we do remove the worst stuff and even if we don't remove it, behind the scenes we try to tell people why their post isn't acceptable. No one and I mean no one, likes to be moderated, that's pretty natural. We leave some challenges in the thread, we don't remove them all but sometimes we ask people not to continue the argument and we get ignored. At that point you're likely to find yourself being moderated for breaking the rules. It is, as I said before a source of friction between some members and the moderators. Answers on a postcard of how we manage personalities.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just dropping in to say that I don't care.

I had the politics forum on ignore as soon as I discovered the ignore-nodes feature. And I opted out (or didn't opt in) when it became an option.

The only impact this has had on the cycle chatting part of cyclechat has been a rash of sarky posts about whether things are political, and cryptic grumbles. I now understand what they were all about.

So what's the point of this post? Well - not caring is a valid opinion, albeit a weedy one.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Here's my feeling: if we aren't allowed to have a debate about casual sexism, then I think we also shouldn't be allowed to post jokes about throwing your wife out of the car or comparing your mother-in-law to a cow.
Guilty as charged your honour, but by not having the 1st part, it's difficult to know you're causing offence by the 2nd part, I admit I am a dinosaur in some respects, I come from a bygone era, it's a very grey line which I sometimes don't know where it is, when in physical company it's more obvious than in virtual, but I am willing to learn.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I'd like CC to have a break from political debate for a short while.

I want to take some time to look at options, discuss how things could be done differently, get some feedback from members and moderators and see whether we could have such discussions without a return to what we had.

If you value CC then I would hope you'd be willing to wait a while for that process to happen.

Thanks,
Shaun
Would some leniency on moderation in the meantime be possible?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Miss Goodbody and I think this is a fantastic forum, we thank @Shaun for all his work towards keeping it going, and we will continue to be delighted, amused and educated by it. :smile:

Here's my feeling: if we aren't allowed to have a debate about casual sexism, then I think we also shouldn't be allowed to post jokes about throwing your wife out of the car or comparing your mother-in-law to a cow.

It’s just as well then that only two people care about your feelings.
Guilty as charged your honour, but by not having the 1st part, it's difficult to know you're causing offence by the 2nd part, I admit I am a dinosaur in some respects, I come from a bygone era, it's a very grey line which I sometimes don't know where it is, when in physical company it's more obvious than in virtual, but I am willing to learn.

You don't have to justify yourself yo anyone, if people don't like what you write that's their problem, no on has a right not to be offended. People need to get over themselves, its only website.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I really like CC and Shaun has provided us with an excellent forum over the years but it is also the members of the forum that help make it. P&L or any of the other political sections P&CA or whatever have always attracted many long time members as well as newish members to do battle over whatever topic and quite often opposing sides have turned up on other forums in CC supporting others be it Personal Matters , health, diet, cycling issues, meet ups and loads more, which shows we're all grown up and don't need to be told what we are allowed to discuss. The budget thread unless it gets to political, then it's bring to another forum. Also on the Morrissey thread we get this from the Mods.
''The thread has now been reopened. While Morrissey is no doubt a controversial figure, please keep the discussion at least vaguely on-topic and not use it as a debating platform for wider political issues.''

Really? It is getting a bit much and not the place it once was which is a shame.

Any chance of you not throwing shoot from the tree?

Any chance of those #notbehavinglikeadults and griping doing likewise?

The only non-adult behaviour I am witnessing is you joining the thread just for this incomprehensible snipe.