New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
If only you'd said that a week ago before you hit the kill switch you probably would have got a lot more people on board and got some good ideas.
Indeed, and people would hopefully have and felt a sense of ownership of the changes. I think Shaun knows how it happened was bad, it’s what happens next that matters, for the whole site.

Like I said, the old section was crap. It's the change to the rest of it I'm not liking.

And it is too late, @Shaun has said it's a done deal and it's not coming back.

Two threads on the budget closed down. Frankly it's pathetic.
Actually it would be really helpful if you said why it was crap, preferably without anyone rounding on your views and as for the closing of threads you can pretty much put that down to the same confusion pervading the forum, pervading the mods as we try to react to the dynamics of the forum and strike that balance I mentioned earlier.

U

User482

I'd like CC to have a break from political debate for a short while.

I want to take some time to look at options, discuss how things could be done differently, get some feedback from members and moderators and see whether we could have such discussions without a return to what we had.

If you value CC then I would hope you'd be willing to wait a while for that process to happen.

Thanks,
Shaun

1. The majority of the feedback regarding "opt-in" was to say it's a bad idea
2. The majority of the feedback for the proposed PD forum, last summer, was to say it's a bad idea

My concern is that the same thing is going to happen again - an unwanted change.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So where does "I don't have any plans to go back to what we had" come in?
Not having any plans now doesn't mean there will never be any plans, of course. But what would the plans be? There wouldn't be a majority or even a workable minority for the last incarnation of PC&A, would there? I posted there but I was uncomfortable about its recent operation and didn't enjoy reading it too much, which can be shown by me still having unread threads from it even now, a week or whatever later.

mjr

[...] still having unread threads from it even now, a week or whatever later.
Actually it would be really helpful if you said why it was crap,
I'll read some of my unread threads this evening and try to express what makes them an uncomfortable read, but I won't have time before then.

A lot of PCA threads seemed to get locked for a clean-up, which basically junked all replies people were writing at that instant, which was very crap and just irritating, then most got unlocked but a few never did which was also crap... and the clean-ups had limited effect because many of the most trigger-happy offenders had probably already read the personal attacks and abuse, so the attacks had done their job and we all enjoyed the fallout which was crap even if we were spared the full craptacular.

In general, there were a few hot topics which I feel would probably have been better cooled down like the helmet debate, with every post held for moderation and no hesitation in returning posts to their author with the reason it's not been allowed through. Is that technically possible on a per-thread level or must whole boards be switched to that?

If anything, Crinkly, there's very much a place for your voice.

Not right now - because I'm a benefit-dependent public sector employee who is a working single mum to two lovely bright boys, one with an autistic spectrum condition and the other currently navigating the world of not-specific-enough-to-see-the-Ed Psych learning difficulties, who I am attempting to raise to not be utter cockwombles. Everything IS political. Welfare cuts, changes to child support, funding structures in the NHS and education are just the most obvious ones that impact on me directly....

I actually spent quite a lot of time thinking about some of my responses on P&CA. I tried to find sources, and additional information, and to make those accessible. I read the links people posted and tried to consider what they were saying even if I didn't agree with it and out of deference for local practice and custom I actually refrained from fecking swearing, most of the time - which those who know me in the big blue room will know isn't very "me". I even made occasional efforts to be something vaguely resembling witty. OK, I have probably snarked a bit on occasion, I'll admit that.

Over the past few days I've kept clicking on New Posts, as usual, looking to see if there was anything interesting, having a bit of a browse. There have been several things I would have liked to respond to - however, from the perspective of white male privilege, the postings werren't "political" but my responses would have been deemed to be so. As a woman, I have spent my whole farking life self-censoring and not being able to say things. And now I can't say them here, either.

Last edited:
I'll read some of my unread threads this evening and try to express what makes them an uncomfortable read, but I won't have time before then.

A lot of PCA threads seemed to get locked for a clean-up, which basically junked all replies people were writing at that instant, then most got unlocked but a few never did... and the clean-ups had limited effect because many of the most trigger-happy offenders had probably already read the personal attacks and abuse, so the attacks had done their job and we all enjoyed the fallout even if we were spared the full gore. In general, there were a few hot topics which I feel would probably have been better cooled down like the helmet debate, with every post held for moderation and no hesitation in returning posts to their author with the reason it's not been allowed through. Is that technically possible on a per-thread level or must whole boards be switched to that?
The whole board I believe, besides, how much time do you think that would take up on a fast moving thread, it's simply unfeasible and I'd suggest not desirable, neither for the mods or membership.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It's a bit of a pickle alright, I would have thought that even if you reopened P&CA and unlocked all the threads this afternoon what you had before has still been broken. Regular posters in P&CA may welcome the return, but will they feel inclined to post in there again? PD hasn't exactly attracted lots of posters but a number of them that have posted there appeared to want to air grievances about the P&CA regulars, so they'll have their noses put out of joint if it's reopened, I can see the threads about caving in now.

Last edited:

mjr

The whole board I believe, besides, how much time do you think that would take up on a fast moving thread, it's simply unfeasible and I'd suggest not desirable, neither for the mods or membership.
A by-approval thread couldn't be fast-moving. I know that would be annoying in some cases, but the alternative appears to be that the threads generate so much work they overload the mods and get banished to another website with low moderation standards, which seems worse to me.

It might take less time because each mod run could probably allow a few posts through and then return some as obsoleted/out-of-date/duplicate of what was allowed through. I doubt many people would submit more than one post at a time, or at least more than a few (isn't that what happens in the helmet debate most of the time?)

The aim would be to stamp out a ABCDEFGBADHBADBADFBAD.... failure pattern that I suspect is happening, where the backbone of the discussion is dominated by a loop of the same irreconcilable views posted by the same people with slight variations. I'll try to see whether that happened much when I read those unreads later.

Gary E

Veteran
I'm not a massive fan of politics but I occasionally dip in when I find a thread interesting.
I also, just as often, decide it's not for me and dip out again.
If I'm offended I just remind myself that this is the internet and move on, it's easy!
I think anyone who opens any internet browser and expects everything to be rosy and polite is being naive.

No amount of moderating/censoring threads is going to please everybody and frankly it'll just be like trying to push water uphill!
I personally think that the responsibility of moderating what they're looking at is with the individual who's reading the threads; dip in, dip out. If you like what you're seeing - read on, if not - there's a big X in the top right hand corner!

We run the very real risk of losing the heart of this forum simply by trying too hard to attain an unobtainable goal - trying to please all of the people, all of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom