New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5052566, member: 45"]
  • Come down hard on sniping.
  • Come down hard on trolling.
  • Come down hard on hate.
  • Don't feel that you should have to engage in conversation about the above whenever the perpetrator complains.
[/QUOTE]
Don't feel that you should have to engage in conversation about the above whenever the complainer complains.
I've seen all of what you have written thrown about in what I believe has been an attempt to shut down a topic. I've seen trolling in particular thrown at people for what I have taken as them having a different opinion. It may be that I am not especially well tuned to the finer nuances of a posters motivation, but the accusations of trolling didn't look pretty from where I was sitting.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Can I just make myself 100% clear....

If the "Beer" thread goes, I'm out

I'll drink to that

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I don't care the old politics section has gone. However I do care about the new censoring of the rest of the site. TBH having the old section was a good place to send threads when they got silly so those that wanted to be silly could carry on.

Now, anything that has the potential to be silly is also closed down and that's going to cut down on varied and interesting content which is a massive shame.
Post reported....

green1

Über Member
With the current posting rate, that's a lifetime sentence.
Too good for them I say. In my day...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why not crowd source the moderating? If x number of people report a thread reply it gets deleted automatically.
Great! We only need to get x hardliners on here and we can rid CC of the scourge of deviant views! ;)

Seriously, it's difficult to set automatic moderation up without it becoming mob rule or making every comment bland and inoffensive. There's plenty of sites which have tried and I think most have eventually appointed mods who can override the votes and restrict voting. I guess it's easier than moderation without it becoming a free for all, but I don't know whether it can be done well on xenforko or what I think of it.

For more subtle possible problems, there's a free/donation Cory Doctorow book online about Whuffie which covers some of them.

The nub for me is this is the one forum I come to. I talk a load of old bollocks to amuse myself. I don't fb or tweet as I'm too busy working to pay taxes to keep you lot in your welfare cheques. I've seen enough flounces and I doubt many will leave because of this. I like the cycling aspect but come for the variety of threads. I've met some of you lot and, without wishing to be soppy, it's nice to be around what I like to think of you lot, my inferiors.

But if the content dries up, I'll find less reason to visit. And I'm sure others will eventually too. I hope it doesn't. I fear it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom