New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A few things I'm certain about:
  • I didn't come here to be told to go somewhere else
  • I find it almost impossible to ban politics from my life, the same applies to me here. With a fairly hefty post count of over 20,000, I've tried to remain non-tendentious and good humoured throughout. I, as far as I am aware, have never had a post reported (nor heard of any having been so) and the only posts I've had removed have disappeared as part of wider culls. I nearly used the ignore function once but decided I had my own ignore function. And I've only once reported a post. As such, I believe I have not been an undue burden on the moderators, despite often being forthright. It's ironic that I have probably taken up more mods' and owner's time this week than I have done in the last several years
  • that banning what's been called politics will have the inevitable effect of installing a kind of default dominant ideology - which of course is still fully in the heartland of politics - and awkward issues will continue to swim beneath the surface of the water like sharks.
  • I don't post to have my posts removed. Yet overnight I awoke, along with many others, to find thousands of them removed. I've no idea how others feel to find that their time and word have been judged worthless and then summarily obliterated but I'm not happy about it. In fact, I'm deeply resentful.
My only course of action seems to be to back out of here. Maybe I'll keep an eye on developments, so it's not a foot-stamping flounce I'm conducting. Many thanks to all the CC people I've shared rides with. That's been an honour and a great pleasure, and it's particularly this that makes my regret ever the deeper.

Well here's your chance to be moderators.

Marmion has replied with a fairly blunt message which I see one of my compatriots has already softened, Trekster has advanced some potentially unreconstructed views, you decide if they are or not and Threevok wants to tell MiL jokes.

Tools at your disposal, do nothing, edit post, remove posts, leave a mod note, pm people (I already have), thread ban them, issue a reminder, ban them!

Experience of many years on the forum and this my 2nd stint as a mod tells me that under normal circumstances, a few people will knock chunks out of each other which breeds resentment which comes out elsewhere as trolling or direct abuse. Luckily this isn't a normal thread but it could still fall that way.

I'm off for some grub and an Episode of Red Dwarf. I look forward to you all having solved this when I get back.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
A few things I'm certain about:
  • I didn't come here to be told to go somewhere else
  • I find it almost impossible to ban politics from my life, the same applies to me here. With a fairly hefty post count of over 20,000, I've tried to remain non-tendentious and good humoured throughout. I, as far as I am aware, have never had a post reported (nor heard of any having been so) and the only posts I've had removed have disappeared as part of wider culls. I nearly used the ignore function once but decided I had my own ignore function. And I've only once reported a post. As such, I believe I have not been an undue burden on the moderators, despite often being forthright. It's ironic that I have probably taken up more mods' and owner's time this week than I have done in the last several years
  • that banning what's been called politics will have the inevitable effect of installing a kind of default dominant ideology - which of course is still fully in the heartland of politics - and awkward issues will continue to swim beneath the surface of the water like sharks.
  • I don't post to have my posts removed. Yet overnight I awoke, along with many others, to find thousands of them removed. I've no idea how others feel to find that their time and word have been judged worthless and then summarily obliterated but I'm not happy about it. In fact, I'm deeply resentful.
My only course of action seems to be to back out of here. Maybe I'll keep an eye on developments, so it's not a foot-stamping flounce I'm conducting. Many thanks to all the CC people I've shared rides with. That's been an honour and a great pleasure, and it's particularly this that makes my regret ever the deeper.
I clicked like, but not for the leaving. If its any consolation the posts have not been deleted merely, hopefully mothballed temporarily https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/politics-and-current-affairs.17/

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Cheers Crackle, but again, I was not a MIL joke as such - and I only mentioned it here, because the original post was reported to the mods and is as such (AFAIK) on topic with the thread.

I was going to just let it slide and edited the post as a result, but it was brought up here again and I feel I have the right to explain.

Andrew_P

Well here's your chance to be moderators.

Marmion has replied with a fairly blunt message which I see one of my compatriots has already softened, Trekster has advanced some potentially unreconstructed views, you decide if they are or not and Threevok wants to tell MiL jokes.

Tools at your disposal, do nothing, edit post, remove posts, leave a mod note, pm people (I already have), thread ban them, issue a reminder, ban them!

Experience of many years on the forum and this my 2nd stint as a mod tells me that under normal circumstances, a few people will knock chunks out of each other which breeds resentment which comes out elsewhere as trolling or direct abuse. Luckily this isn't a normal thread but it could still fall that way.

I'm off for some grub and an Episode of Red Dwarf. I look forward to you all having solved this when I get back.
Can I ask if this was not such a prominent thread where mostly everyone is playing nicely, with multiple mods watching what would have happened in the old P&CA mod wise? Would you take your own site action against the agitating posts before reporting, would you wait for a report button to be clicked, or wait for a thread war to break out?

Is it always a joint decision of more than one mod or could you just wade in? No sarcasm in my post at all in case its read that way I am curious before I answer how a decision would have been reached, not the decision as it were.

Just realised going to have to wait for Red Dwarf, I will try and find a shirt to iron. Bit slow me.

Can I ask if this was not such a prominent thread where mostly everyone is playing nicely, with multiple mods watching what would have happened in the old P&CA mod wise? Would you take your own site action against the agitating posts before reporting, would you wait for a report button to be clicked, or wait for a thread war to break out?

Is it always a joint decision of more than one mod or could you just wade in? No sarcasm in my post at all in case its read that way I am curious before I answer how a decision would have been reached, not the decision as it were.

Just realised going to have to wait for Red Dwarf, I will try and find a shirt to iron. Bit slow me.
It's a fair question. I'll try and answer it so long as you bear in mind that I'm one mod replying and I don't represent a 'mod view' which is precisely how the moderation works, on a consensus basis ie we don't all agree all the time and sometimes we exclude ourselves on the basis of not being objective, not having a clue about the subject or already being involved in the thread.

We respond to reports or we create the reports when we see things we know are going to create issues. That's a particularly fine line and must be tempered with caution. Behind the scenes there's a code of conduct we're expected to follow and to know the rules. No action is taken by a single mod without the agreement of others unless it's to lock a thread pending moderation. All that said, we're human and make mistakes sometimes.

Edit: PaCA worked slightly differently, in that all posts were read and checked. As a system it was pretty intensive but it did really help to untangle where threads had gone off track.

I have no idea what this thread is about but im guessing its about the six or seven twats on here that stop the rest of us have a good chat about every day things . Ban them , problem solved .
The problem with that is that your "six or seven" won't be the same as A.N.Other's "six or seven".

Oh - and I think it is just Wrong to use twat as an insult. Why are you comparing ppl you don't like with a warm and (subject to appropriate consents being sought and freely given) welcoming part of the female anatomy? One which, in addition, has both depth and warmth?

toffee

Guru
Well I've just read through the whole thread and some of the posts which are just sniping at each other just prove the point. I hadn't actually realised that politics was dragging the forum down, not having ventured over to the opt in section.

From my point of view it's the posts where people just can't stop sniping at each other, trading one liners and basically acting like they were sill in primary school that's the problem.

The point I hadn't realised was that a number of female members felt it was a hostile place. Reading some of the comments in just this thread proves how they don't really get it.

Andrew_P

Edit: PaCA worked slightly differently, in that all posts were read and checked. As a system it was pretty intensive but it did really help to untangle where threads had gone off track.
Blimey I didn't actually believe that was happening all the time and thought it would have fallen away pretty quickly! That was madness!! Mods must have been dreaming about that stuff! Has that directive alone not over burdened Mods? (sorry going off the topic a bit)

Anyway personally I think a warning on the post would suffice, so many warning in a single thread and there is a temp thread ban. But it should be open knowledge that its happening. I think the report button is part of the problem and open to calculated joint and multiple user abuse if nothing else to agitate Mods.

Bizarrely this thread seems to be drawing out some who wanted to go to war in P&CA but didn't but are now choosing to stick the boot in here.

I am starting to wonder if I had selective viewing I wasn't really aware of much overflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom